categories - Category Theory list
* Re: A cryptic remark in Street--Walters, 'Yoneda structures on 2-categories'
@ 2011-01-11 23:35 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-01-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street, Finn Lawler; +Cc: categories

Comment at end ...

------ Original Message ------
From: Ross Street <ross.street@mq.edu.au>
To: Finn Lawler <flawler@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: categories: Re: A cryptic remark in Street--Walters, 'Yoneda
structures on 2-categories'

> Dear Finn
>
> On 11/01/2011, at 1:46 AM, Finn Lawler wrote:
>
>>> it shows that the Eilenberg--Moore algebras for a monad can be
>>> regarded as sheaves for a certain generalized topology on the
>>> Kleisli category.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on what they mean by a `generalized
>> topology'?
>
> Perhaps we should have said "generalized Ehresmann sketch".
>
> After all, I believe Linton's work aimed at generalizing to all monads
> the correspondence between monads of finite rank on Set  and
> Lawvere theories, under which Eilenberg-Moore algebras become
> product-preserving presheaves on part of the Kleisli category).
>
> I suspect that is what we intended.
>
> Ross

And actually even "product-preserving" is only a loose and not entirely
appropriate slogan for the actual condition I promulgated in that work.

I always thought that "generalized topology" was the result of caving in
to a similar *manner-of-speaking* abbreviatory impulse, and I suppose
today's "generalized Ehresmann sketch" is, as well.

No harm done, of course ... :-) . Cheers,

-- Fred

* Re: A cryptic remark in Street--Walters, 'Yoneda structures on 2-categories'
@ 2011-01-10 20:35 ` Steve Lack
From: Steve Lack @ 2011-01-10 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Finn Lawler; +Cc: categories

Dear Finn,

The sheaves for a topology can be defined as those presheaves which send certain
diagrams to limits. The diagrams in question are determined by the topology.

Similarly, the Elienberg-Moore algebras can be seen as the presheaves on the Kleisli
category which send certain diagrams to limits. The limits in question, however, are not
(usually) those determined by a topology, thus Street and Walters speak of a generalized
topology.

Regards,

Steve Lack.

@ 2011-01-10 14:46 Finn Lawler