categories - Category Theory list
* Mathematical Mechanics: From Particle to Muscle
@ 2011-01-12 17:54 Ellis D. Cooper
From: Ellis D. Cooper @ 2011-01-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Categorists:

I just delivered the raw manuscript for my book "Mathematical
Mechanics: From Particle to Muscle" to World Scientific.  The editor
assigned to the project replied, "Please solicit comments from your
contacts, but please send us the amendments in the next month or so,
before we rapidly move to press."

The book offers to high school mathematical science teachers  a
categorical, diagram-oriented ground and foundation for mathematics
directed towards biological research on muscle contraction. A central
part of the book is a new algebraic framework for chemical
thermodynamics. For example, Hess' Law is a monoidal functor. Adjoint
functors are not explicitly treated, but key examples are relevant,
such as the construction of the free category on a directed graph. My
approach to physics is partly inspired by the work of Christopher
Isham et al on the topos-theoretic foundations of physics. Although
it is not explicitly stated, all calculations and proofs are meant to
be understood in that spirit.

The manuscript is available for download at

    http://www.distancedrawing.com/MathMech.110102a.pdf
    http://www.distancedrawing.com/MathMech.110102a.ps

and I solicit your comments. Note that Adobe Reader X allows
commenting with "Sticky Notes," but any means to provide feedback
that you care to employ might help me avoid abominable errors of
omission or commission.

Many thanks,
Ellis D. Cooper

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-01-12 17:54 UTC | newest]