categories - Category Theory list
* A well known result
@ 2011-01-14  1:24 JeanBenabou
       [not found] ` <alpine.LRH.2.00.1101141747190.9206@siskin.dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-14  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prof. Peter Johnstone, Categories

Dear Peter,

In one of my mails I mentioned the following result, which I thought
to be original:

Proposition: Let P: X --> S be a fibration. The functor P is final
iff all its fibers are connected

  From your answer to that mail, dated December 29, I quote:

"please don't deceive yourself that this is a new result. It is a (very)
special case of the theorem of Street and Walters ("The comprehensive
factorization of a functor", Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 79, 1973) that the
pair (final functors, discrete fibrations) forms a factorization
structure
on Cat. It's true that this result is not stated in the Elephant (why on
earth should it be?), but the Street--Walters factorization (for
internal
categories) is treated in section B2.5."

I tried to prove that my proposition was a consequence of the theorem
of Street-Walters which you quoted in you mail, but did not succeed.
Then I consulted their original paper, hoping to find there more
details which would help me to find a proof. Again in vain.

I'm quite sure that you're right, and that my inability to get a
proof is entirely due to my mathematical limitations.

Thus I'd really be very grateful, if you'd give me a proof, or even a
sketch of a proof, that my proposition is an easy consequence of the
theorem of Street and Walters.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Jean

* Re: A well known result
       [not found] ` <alpine.LRH.2.00.1101141747190.9206@siskin.dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
@ 2011-01-14 19:56   ` JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-14 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prof. Peter Johnstone, Categories

Dear Peter,

I stand corrected. My proposition is indeed an immediate consequence
of Street and Walters. It is also a consequence of much more general
results of mine on foliated categories which I didn't  mention, and I
didn't realize that this special case was easy. This is no excuse. I
was careless, and have to "pay" for this carelessness. this is why I
make my answer public although your mail was addressed only to me.
There are many mathematical questions I asked you, which you didn't
answer. I hope this mail will incite you to answer some of them.

Best regards,
Jean