categories - Category Theory list
* re: a coalgebra over fields question
@ 2011-08-26  7:25 Anders Kock
From: Anders Kock @ 2011-08-26  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi,

Gavin Wraith lectured in 1976 about an important aspect in this
connection. I don't know of any published reference. Namely: The
category of commutative algebras is enriched over the cartesian closed
category of commutative coalgebras.

Does anybody know of a published reference ?
(I am in a posoition of a 1981 M.Sc. thesis by Ernst K. Pedersen, giving
the details of the constructions involved.)

Anders

* re: a coalgebra over fields question
@ 2011-08-26 19:15 ` Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2011-08-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Kock; +Cc: categories, Tom Leinster

Dear Anders,

> Gavin Wraith lectured in 1976 about an important aspect in this
> connection. I don't know of any published reference. Namely: The
> category of commutative algebras is enriched over the cartesian closed
> category of commutative coalgebras.
>
> Does anybody know of a published reference ?

I believe the key term here is "measure coalgebra" or "measuring
coalgebra".  There's an nLab page on this:

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/measure+coalgebra

It doesn't give any references, and I don't know any.  But presumably the
authors of that page are reading this and have a better idea than me.

André Joyal also mentioned this enrichment in his talk at CT11.

Best wishes,
Tom

* re: a coalgebra over fields question
@ 2011-08-26 22:16   ` Todd Trimble
From: Todd Trimble @ 2011-08-26 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Leinster, Anders Kock; +Cc: categories

Hi Tom (and others),

I was perhaps the primary author of that nLab page. I think the
more standard term is actually "measuring coalgebra". Anyway,
this is also discussed in Barr's paper that I alluded to in an earlier
message:

Coalgebras over a commutative ring, J. Alg. 32, 600-610
(1974)

The idea is simple enough: the measuring coalgebra of two
commutative algebras A, B  is a representing coalgebra
m(A, B)  for which there is an isomorphism

Coalg(C, m(A, B)) = Alg(A, hom(C, B))

natural in C, where the hom on the right is a vector-space
hom that acquires a natural algebra structure if C is a
coalgebra and B is an algebra.

But the idea of measuring coalgebra goes far beyond a base
of enrichment for commutative algebras. Basically, if you take
two vector-space models A, B of any prop, there is a suitable
measuring coalgebra construction m(A, B) [Barr, theorem 6.3].
So, "practically anything" can be enriched in cocommutative
coalgebras.  :-)

Best regards,

Todd