categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Some information on the "Cahiers"
@ 2011-09-07 14:00 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-09-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andree Ehresmann, categories

Should I be amused or aghast that Mathematics is being dealt with by
a Thomson Reuters editor for "Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences"?

Cheers, -- Fred

From: Andree Ehresmann @ 2011-09-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

I would like to communicate some information on the "Cahiers".

1. Last year, prompted by several people, in particular Ronnie, I had
asked for the inclusion of the "Cahiers" in the ISI database, and I
was informed that the assessment process required about 1 year. The
answer arrived in August: it is rejected. As I was surprised, all the
more since I thought TAC had been accepted, I asked for the reasons. I
join the answer at the end of this msg.

2. The "Cahiers" show that a journal need not be very expensive. It
costs 82 euros a year, and lives on its subscriptions (almost all by
foreign universities) which entirely and exactly cover the expenses:
printing of the final pdf file which I give to the (commercial)
printer, envelopes and stamps I use for snail mail delivery.
It should be noted that there is no staff expenses since, without any
financial nor material support, I myself edit the complete file (with
the help of the authors who kindly comply with my format
requirements?), and manage the subscriptions, the packing up and
sending of the volumes.

I am sorry of the ThomasReuters decision  which might be a prejudice
for the authors, I'll try to have it reversed in the future if it is
possible, and I hope you all will help me.

Kind regards
Andree

====

   Date:  	Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:53:48 +0000 [23.08.2011 21:53 CEST]
De:  	rodney.chonka@thomsonreuters.comAjouter
rodney.chonka@thomsonreuters.com à mon carnet d'adresses États-Unis
À:  	andree.ehresmann@u-picardie.frAjouter
andree.ehresmann@u-picardie.fr à mon carnet d'adresses
Sujet:  	RE: Cahiers de Topologie et Geometrie Differentielle Categoriques

Dear Prof. Ehresmann,

Among the many criteria we use to evaluate a journal for possible
inclusion in the database, a journal's citation record (how often the
journal is cited and which journals cite it and are cited by it) is
one of the more important considerations.  We examined the citation
record of the Cahiers for both 2009 and 2010. (The 2010 citation data
became available just a few months ago).  The citation data for both
years show that the citation rate for the Cahiers was very low - even
lower in 2010 than in 2009 - and did not compare favorably with other
core mathematics journals indexed in the database, in particular,
journals covering the subject areas of topology and category.

Theory and Applications of Categories was indeed added to the database
earlier this year and during its evaluation demonstrated a much
stronger citation rate.  Many high impact journals covering the field
of topology, such as Topology and Its Applications, Topology and
Topological Methods in Nonlinear Analysis, are also indexed in the
database. Thus, these fields in mathematics are well represented in
the database.

We would be pleased to arrange a reevaluation of the journal in 36
months, if you care to contact us again at that time.  (In the
meantime, it is not necessary to send us further issues.)  Further
exposure to the research community, new quantitative data and our
evolving coverage priorities may yield a different decision.