categories - Category Theory list
* Jobs in Glasgow
@ 2011-09-08 18:45 Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2011-09-08 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

We're hiring.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ADE804/lecturer-senior-lecturer-reader/

I apologize for the drivel in the ad.  You can follow the links and get
more meaningful information about us there.  We have six jobs going, and
unofficially, we expect to hire two people in pure, two in applied, and
two in statistics.  All the jobs are permanent, at least assuming the
government doesn't do away with universities entirely.

On behalf of the School of Mathematics and Statistics, I am happy to
confirm the truth of the advertisement's statement that "Preference may be
given to candidates in Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and
Statistics."

Tom

* Jobs in Glasgow
@ 2007-12-13 12:45 Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2007-12-13 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

We're hiring:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobs/TN992/Lectureship_Senior_Lectureship_Readership/

There are three posts available, one in analysis and the other two in any
pure area (including category theory).  All are tenured.

For those unfamiliar with UK terminology, here's a brief explanation of
the job titles.  Someone with tenure is called a lecturer, senior
lecturer, reader or professor.  A lectureship is the most junior post (but
not like an American lectureship).  Senior lecturer and reader are
intermediate posts; SL is more oriented towards teaching, and reader
towards research.  There are rather few professors (maybe 20% of the
faculty), and it's perfectly normal to end one's career without ever
becoming one.

Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.  (I'll be away from my
mail for a few days.)

Tom

* Jobs in Glasgow
@ 2006-08-10 15:13 Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2006-08-10 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Once again, we're hiring.  There are two positions available, Lecturer and
Senior Lecturer/Reader.  See the forwarded mail below.

For those not familiar with British academic terminology, these are all
tenured jobs.  Lecturer is the basic position (e.g. that's what I am).
Senior Lecturer and Reader are more senior.  Professors are relative
rarities; it's perfectly normal to finish one's career as a SL or Reader,
without ever becoming a Professor.

I should point out that this huge wave of hiring has not been brought
about by mass desertion.  It's mainly for demographic reasons (lots of
people retiring), and in this case because of a couple of people moving
from teaching to pure research roles.

The blurb says that "preference may be given to" those with an interest in
analysis, geometry or topology.  However, (a) in the past we've tended to
be quite open-minded about appointing people outside our specifically
targetted areas, and (b) for certain reasons, I think that now could be
quite a favourable time for a category theorist to apply.

If you want any further informal information, feel free to get in touch.

Tom