categories - Category Theory list
* Graphical language and compact closed categories
@ 2011-09-29 11:01 Aleks Kissinger
From: Aleks Kissinger @ 2011-09-29 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Categorists,

Everyone (as far as I know) believes that appropriately defined string
diagrams can be used to construct the free compact closed category on
a monoidal signature. Kelly-Laplaza proved this only for the case of
boxes that have a single wire in and out (i.e. free CCC's on a
category, not on an arbitrary moniodal signature). However, at least
at the time of publishing his survey (2009), Selinger writes that a
general proof doesn't exist in the literature. So, my question is:

Is this still the case, and why?

Is it simple a question of someone putting in the hours to write this
up, or are there serious technical obstacles to the general result?

Thanks!
Aleks Kissinger

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-09-29 11:01 UTC | newest]