categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Finding the inverse of a function.
@ 2011-10-06 22:32 peasthope
From: peasthope @ 2011-10-06 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: peasthope

I should have attributed the quotations.

From:	Dusko Pavlovic <dusko@kestrel.edu>
Date:	Wed, 05 Oct 2011 13:52:25 +0100
> ... the function x sin(x), i think, ...

Correct.

> ... as studied by undergraduates in calculus I.

According to the course descriptions here at UBC, there is at least
a mention of series in first year courses.  Fourier and other series
appear in 2nd & 3rd years.

> ... might be worth while to rework widder's book on transform theory
coalgebraically.

Engineer speaking.  Mathematicians, don't be too critical.

What I recall from a brief study decades ago is that each of the
familiar series--Taylor, Laurent, Fourier & etc.--is based upon a
set of orthogonal functions.  So I wondered whether the category of
sets of orthogonal functions has been thoroughly studied.  Such a
study might show the necessity of infinite series to represent the
inverses of some functions.  Wishful thinking?

Thanks,                  ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

* Re: Finding the inverse of a function.
@ 2011-10-06 16:24 peasthope
From: peasthope @ 2011-10-06 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: peasthope

> ... the function x sin(x), i think, ...

Correct.

> ... as studied by undergraduates in calculus I.

According to the course descriptions here at UBC, there is at least
a mention of series in first year courses.  Fourier and other series
appear in 2nd & 3rd years.

> ... might be worth while to rework widder's book on transform theory
coalgebraically.

Engineer speaking.  Mathematicians, don't be too critical.

What I recall from a brief study decades ago is that each of the
familiar series--Taylor, Laurent, Fourier & etc.--is based upon a
set of orthogonal functions.  So I wondered whether the category of
sets of orthogonal functions has been thoroughly studied.  Such a
study should show the necessity of infinite series to represent the

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca

* Re: Finding the inverse of a function.
       [not found]   ` <4E79E072.8050104@cs.bham.ac.uk>
@ 2011-10-05 12:52     ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 2011-10-05 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

hi martin,

On Sep 21, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Martin Escardo wrote:

> This has been further developed in several papers by Rutten and other people.

i know, of course, that jan rutten developed theory of power series to a great length, as used in combinatorics and automata theory. he has a paper about coalgebraic differential calculus --- but of *bitstreams*. the query on the list concerned the function
x sin(x), i think, as studied by undergraduates in calculus I. did jan really work on such things? i would be really interested in that.

i used to think that it might be worth while to rework widder's book on transform theory coalgebraically. but even the coalgebraic laplace transform in our paper does not seem to have been useful for anything. i thought no one noticed it. it would be good to know that it was further developed.

all the best,
-- dusko

@ 2011-09-21 13:02   ` Martin Escardo
       [not found]   ` <4E79E072.8050104@cs.bham.ac.uk>