categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical) with connections)
@ 2011-10-29  1:08 F William Lawvere
From: F William Lawvere @ 2011-10-29  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Note from moderator: an earlier version of this message was badly
formatted and may have been difficult to read so it is being reposted; as
a reminder, posts should be sent with text-only formatting]

Dear Todd, Ross, Vaughn, et al

Trivial objects should NOT be admitted to categories A whose
set-valued functors are intended to form a combinatorial topos
to serve as a surrogate for some sort of continuous spaces.
That is to say, there is a reason why the delta of simplicial sets
does not have a unit object (unlike the delta that, as a strict
monoid in CAT, has precisely all monads as its actions). Similarly,
the basic cubical sets are functors on the part A (of the algebraic
category involving two nullary operations) which consists of
finitely-presented STRICT algebras; thus this is the classifying
topos for those bi-pointed objects (in arbitrary toposes) that
satisfy the non-equational entailment

front = back entails false.

The reason is this: if a site C = Aop has an initial object, then
the left adjoint to the inclusion of constant functors, which
should model the notion of connected components, is
representable, hence preserves equalizers; but the basic
intuitive examples of spaces with non-trivial connectivity
are constructed as equalizers of maps between connected spaces!

(Note that restrictions (on the structures classified) involving
falsity, disjunction, or existential quantification typically give
sheaf toposes, but exceptionally may just give smaller presheaf
categories; another related example is in algebraic geometry,
where classifying the algebras subject to the disjunctive
condition

x^2=x entails x=0 or x=1

merely involves the topos of all functors on those
finitely-presented algebras that satisfy the same condition.)

According to the paradigm set by Milnor, the relation between
continuous and combinatorial is a pair of adjoint functors called
traditionally “singular” and “realization”.  ("Singular", as
emphasized by Eilenberg, means that the figures, on which the
combinatorial structure of a space lives, should not be required
to be monomorphisms, achieving functoriality with respect to all
continuous changes of space; "realization" refers to a process
analogous to the passage from blueprints to actual buildings
of beton and steel). As emphasized by Gabriel & Zisman, the
exactness of realization forces us to refine the default notion of
space itself, in the direction proposed by Hurewicz in the late 40s
and described by J.L.Kelley in 1955. Further refinements suggest
that the notion of continuous could well be taken as a topos, of a
cohesive (or gros) kind. The exactness of realization helps the
combinatorial topos to describe the continuous category as
closely as possible. In the same spirit, the finite products of
combinatorial intervals could be required to admit the diagonal
maps that their realizations will have. There is one point
however where perfect agreement cannot be achieved: the
contrast between continuous and combinatorial forced Whitehead
to introduce a specific notion he called weak equivalence,
(as explained by Gabriel & Zisman) in order to extract the
correct homotopy category. The contrast can readily be seen
in my list of axioms for Cohesion (TAC): the reasonable
combinatorial toposes satisfy all but one of the axioms, but only
the continuous examples satisfy that one. This Continuity axiom
(preservation of infinite products by pizero) I introduced in order
to obtain homotopy types that are "qualities" in an intuitive sense
(as they are automatically in suitable continuous cases).

I hope these remarks are useful.

Bill

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
@ 2011-10-26 21:27 ` F. William Lawvere
From: F. William Lawvere @ 2011-10-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trimble1, ross.street, pratt; +Cc: categories

Trivial objects should NOT be admitted to categories A whose set valued functors should form a combinatorial topos intended as a  surrogate for continuous spaces in some sense.That is to say, there is a reason why the delta  of simplicial sets does not have a unit object (unlike the delta that as a  strict monoid in CAThas precisely all monads as its actions). Similarly the basic cubical sets are functors on the part A of the algebraic category of two nullary operations which consist of finitely presented STRICT algebras; thus this is the classifying topos for bipointed objects (in arbitrary  toposes) toposes that satisfy the non-equational entailment    csub0 =csub1 entails false.The reason is this: if a site C=Aop has an initial object  , then the leftadjoint to the inclusion of constant functors , which should model the notion of connected  components, is representable , hence preserves equalizers; but the basic intuitive examples of spaces withnon-trivial higher connectivity are constructed as equalizers betweenconnected spaces  !
( Note that restrictions (on the structures classified) involving falsity, disjunction, or existential quantification typically give sheaf toposesbut exceptionally may just give smaller presheaf categories ; another example is in algebraic geometry where classifying the algebrassubject to the disjunctive conditionx^2=x entails x=0 or x=1merely involves the topos of all presheaves on those fp algebras satisfying the same condition.)
According to the paradigm set by Milnor, the relation between continuous and combinatorial is a pair of adjoint functors called traditionally singular and realization . ("Singular", as emphasized by Eilenberg, means that the figures on which the combinatorial structure of a space lives should not be required to be monomorphisms,in order that in order that that structure should be functorial wrt all continuous changes of space ; "realization" refers to a process  analogous to to the passage from blueprints to actual buildings of beton and steel).As emphasized by Gabriel and Zisman, the exactness of realizationforces us to refine the default notion of space  itself, in the directionproposed by Hurewicz in the late 40s and well-described by J L Kelley in 1955. Further refinements suggest that the notion of continuous could well be taken as a topos, of a cohesive (or gros) kind.The exactness of realization is a example of the striving to make the surrogate combinatorial topos (= having a site with finite homs ???) describe the continuous category as closely as possible. For example the finite products of combinatorial intervals might be required to admit the diagonal maps that their realizations have.
There is one point however where perfect agreement cannot be achieved ( Is this a theorem?) : the contrast between continuous and combinatorialforced Whitehead to introduce a specific notion he called weak equivalence, as explained by Gabriel-Zisman, in order to extract the correct homotopy category. The contrast can readily be read off of my list of axioms for Cohesion (TAC) : the reasonable combinatorial toposes satisfy all but one of the axioms,but only the continuous examples satisfy it. That Continuity axiom (preservationof infinite products by pizero) was introduced in order to obtain  homotopytypes that are "qualities" in an intuitive sense (as they should be automaticallyin the continuous case).

@ 2011-10-22 13:07 Todd Trimble
From: Todd Trimble @ 2011-10-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street, Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: Categories list

       [not found] <E1RGrPh-0003WW-KS@mlist.mta.ca>
@ 2011-10-20 22:08 ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2011-10-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

> Perhaps the example I learned from Dominic Verity that I gave in my CT
> 1995 Halifax talk will suffice for this.
> Using strings, we derive a model for the free monoidal category
> containing a cointerval.
> Cubical sets are functors from this to Set.

Further to my last message: That CT1995 talk was very much part of a
three-man show: Street, Verity, Trimble. In particular, for the
example I
am referring to above, the original combinatorial model came from
Verity,
the string derivation of the model was Trimble, and all I did was draw
the
diagrams using MacDraw.

Apparently there is material on this example in the nLab
http://nlab.mathforge.org/nlab/show/cube+category

Ross

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
@ 2011-10-20 10:39             ` Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2011-10-20 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: categories

I very much  like all this discussion of the abstract basis for these
various cubical theories!

It may be useful to comment on the intuitive origin of the connections.

The first idea was to use double groupoids in some way in  higher
homotopy theory. Then came the question of examples: were there any
interesting double groupoids?

We went through various generalisations of C.Ehresmann's double groupoid
of commutative squares in a group or groupoid, finally ending up with a
functor
(crossed modules) \to (double groupoids)
which gave lots of good example of the latter. But which double
groupoids arose in this way? Also for the idea of a proof of a van
Kampen theorem, we needed the notion of `commutative cube in a double
groupoid'.

Fortunately, the notion of connection in a double groupoid (called
special double groupoid with special connection in our paper) satisfied
both properties!  The key `transport law' was borrowed from a paper of
Virsik on path connections, hence the name `connection'. In more
intuitive terms,  the transport law represents: `turning left with your
arm outstretched is the same as turning left'.  Another law says that
`turning left and then right leaves you where you were'. (etc).
Amazingly, it all fitted together.  Chris once remarked about how well
it worked,  once one had got things sorted.

It still took another 3 years to get with Philip the functor
(pointed pairs of spaces) \to (double groupoids with connections)
and then things fell into place.  This functor seems generally ignored
in algebraic topology.  For us, it allowed
`algebraic inverses to subdivision',
unlike relative homotopy groups;   it is this idea of `multiple
compositions' which seems to lack an abstract study, though for us it
was a key use of cubical structures.  The  aim of a van Kampen theorem
is to get some  algebraic control, expressed as colimits rather than
exact sequences,  of the gluing of complex hierarchical structures, with
interactions between low and high dimensions.

It was then not too hard to generalise connections to all dimensions,
but there was a lot of hard work (the hand of PJH!)  in the paper `The
algebra of cubes' to make it all work.

Ronnie

@ 2011-10-19 17:09           ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2011-10-19 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

@ 2011-10-19  8:35         ` Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2011-10-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories, Urs Schreiber

This is about two points of a recent message of Dmitry Roytenberg,
forwarded by Urs Schreiber.

> I have not been able to find an abstract
> description of any of the cubical sites, in the spirit of the simplex
> category being the category of non-empty finite ordinals

I do not know of any such description. But there is a nice abstract
description of the site of
cubical sets with connections, parallel to a well-known
characterisation of the simplicial site:

    - the free strict monoidal category with an assigned dioid.
    See [GM], Thm. 5.2. (There are analogous results for the other
cubical sites.)

A `dioid' is a set with two monoid operations, where the unit of each
operation is
absorbant for the other. Typically, an abstract interval has such a
structure, and a cylinder
functor has the structure of a 'diad'. See [Gr].
(I was also using the terms 'cubical monoid' and 'cubical monad', for
an obvious analogy;
later I abandoned them because they could be misleading - obviously
again).

Every lattice is an idempotent dioid, but idempotency is - apparently
- of no
interest in homotopy. This leads us to the second point: smooth
homotopy.

> In any case, using these connections in a differential-geometric
> context is problematic, not (just) because of a clash with established
> terminology, but because the max and min maps are only piecewise
> smooth.

For smooth homotopy one should use a different (non-idempotent) dioid,
still commutative and involutive:

NOT the standard interval with min, max, linked by the involution  t'
= 1 - t,

BUT the standard interval with multiplication and *, linked
by the same involution:
    x*y = (x'.y')' = x + y - xy.

See [Gr].

[Gr] M. Grandis, Cubical monads and their symmetries, in:
Proc. of the Eleventh Intern. Conf. on Topology, Trieste 1993,
Rend. Ist. Mat. Univ. Trieste 25 (1993), 223-262.
http://www.dmi.units.it/~rimut/volumi/25/index.html

[GM] M. Grandis - L. Mauri, Cubical sets and their site, Theory Appl.
Categ. 11 (2003), No. 8, 185-211.
Best regards

Marco Grandis

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
@ 2011-10-18 13:27       ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2011-10-18 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear category theorists,

a while back we had a discussion here about model structures on
cubical sets. My colleague Dmitry Roytenberg sent the following
message to the list, which, for some reason, did not seem to have gone
through.

Since it might be of interest to some members of the list I would like
to repost it hereby.

From: Fernando Muro @ 2011-09-16 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

--
Fernando Muro
Universidad de Sevilla, Departamento de Álgebra

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
       [not found] ` <E1R4GgT-0007ej-Hq@mlist.mta.ca>
@ 2011-09-15 19:06   ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2011-09-15 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Dmitry Roytenberg

       [not found] <33D5C4F9-416F-47E2-9CB3-C0109F977475@gmail.com>
@ 2011-09-14 10:04 ` Ronnie Brown
       [not found] ` <E1R4GgT-0007ej-Hq@mlist.mta.ca>
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2011-09-14 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan CHICHE 齊正航; +Cc: Categories list, Marco Grandis

The result of Maltsiniotis referred to by Jonathan is very welcome.  But
I wonder if there is still a problem with cubical sets with connection:

the geometric realisation of a simplicial group is, in a convenient
category, a topological group, because of the homeomorphism

f: |K \times Y| \to |K| \times |Y| .

However in the case of cubical sets with connections this map f is a
homotopy equivalence but it seems is not a homeomorphism (?).  As
Grothendieck wrote: `homotopically speaking' that is not a problem!

For homotopies and higher homotopies cubes are nice and easy because of
the basic formula

I^m \times I^n = I^{m+n}.

This leads to monoidal closed structures on strict cubical higher
categories and groupoids.

For a basic discussion of other issues such as algebraic inverses to
subdivision and commutative cubes  I refer to my 2009  Liverpool seminar
on`What is and what should be `Higher dimensional group theory'?'

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~mas010/pdffiles/liverpool-beamer-handout.pdf

Ronnie

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
@ 2011-09-14  7:08       ` Jonathan CHICHE 齊正航
From: Jonathan CHICHE 齊正航 @ 2011-09-14  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list, Ronnie Brown

There is another way to state that the cube category with connections
behaves "as well as" the simplex category. Both are strict test
categories (as defined by Grothendieck in "Pursuing Stacks"). See
http://www.math.jussieu.fr/~maltsin/ps/cubique.pdf. Without
connections, the cube category is a test category, but not a strict
one, so that the product in the cube category does not reflect the
product of homotopy types. This issue vanishes if connections are
allowed. Grothendieck explicitly wrote in "Pursuing Stacks" that he
believed that, homotopically speaking, any strict test category was
"as good as" the simplex category. For instance, he conjectured there
that an analog of the Dold-Kan correspondence (which he called Dold-
Puppe) holds for every strict test category. (As regards the
existence of a Quillen model structure the cofibrations of which are
monomorphisms on the presheaf category, and so on, see the
introduction to Astérisque 301 by Maltsiniotis and Astérisque 308 by
Cisinski.)

Best regards,

Jonathan Chiche

* Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
       [not found]   ` <BDF51495-03DB-4725-8372-094AD1608A11@dima.unige.it>
@ 2011-09-13 16:58     ` Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2011-09-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Grandis; +Cc: categories

expressing this: degeneracies in the simplicial theory give simplices
with some adjacent faces equal; in the cubical theory, degeneracies give
cubes with some opposite faces equal, and never the twain shall meet!
The connections \Gamma_i (which arise from the monoid structure max on
the unit interval) restore the analogy with simplices, since \Gamma_i x
has two adjacent faces the same.

The advantage of cubes for our ideas was always the *easy*  expression
of `algebraic inverses to subdivision' (not so easy simplicially)  and
the application of this to local-to-global problems. The connections
were found  from trying to express the notion of `commutative cube'; an
account of this search is in the Introduction to `Nonabelian algebraic
topology'.  The nice surprise was that this extra structure was also
what was needed to get  equivalences of some algebraic categories (e.g.
crossed modules versus double groupoids with connections)  so it all
fitted together amazingly.

For more on these ideas, see

Grandis, M. and Mauri, L. Cubical sets and their site. Theory Appl.
Categ. {11} (2003) 185--201.

Higgins, P.~J. Thin elements and commutative shells in cubical
{$\omega$}-categories.  Theory Appl. Categ. {14} (2005)  60--74.

I have never tried cubical sets without degeneracies but with connections!

Ronnie

@ 2011-09-13 15:12   ` Marco Grandis
       [not found]   ` <BDF51495-03DB-4725-8372-094AD1608A11@dima.unige.it>
From: Marco Grandis @ 2011-09-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)