categories - Category Theory list
* Examples of symmetric monoidal bicategories
@ 2012-07-12 14:59 Roman Krenický
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Roman Krenický @ 2012-07-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

I'm looking for examples of symmetric monoidal bicategories (where the
structure is genuinely weak, i.e. the various isomorphisms are not
identities) and I would appreciate some help. -- Actually, strict
2-categories with (genuinely) weak monoidal structure would be even more
interesting, but I found it almost impossible to find anything on that.

As I am using these categories as models, I need some structure that is
"concrete enough" to do calculations with (while being as simple as
possible).

Right now I'm considering the bicategory of rings (or monoids or
fields), bimodules over them, and bimodule homomorphisms, where the
monoidal structure is defined by the tensor product etc. (Pointers to
detailed accounts of this category would be very much appreciated, too.
I've only found fairly sketchy mentions in the literature.)

I would be grateful about any other examples of this kind!

Thanks,
Roman

* Re:  Examples of symmetric monoidal bicategories
@ 2012-07-14 18:11 ` Mike Stay
       [not found] ` <E1Sqfk4-0005fv-QC@mlist.mta.ca>
From: Mike Stay @ 2012-07-14 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Krenický; +Cc: categories

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Roman Krenický
<roman.krenicky@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm looking for examples of symmetric monoidal bicategories (where the
> structure is genuinely weak, i.e. the various isomorphisms are not
> identities) and I would appreciate some help. -- Actually, strict
> 2-categories with (genuinely) weak monoidal structure would be even more
> interesting, but I found it almost impossible to find anything on that.
>
> As I am using these categories as models, I need some structure that is
> "concrete enough" to do calculations with (while being as simple as
> possible).
>
> Right now I'm considering the bicategory of rings (or monoids or
> fields), bimodules over them, and bimodule homomorphisms, where the
> monoidal structure is defined by the tensor product etc. (Pointers to
> detailed accounts of this category would be very much appreciated, too.
> I've only found fairly sketchy mentions in the literature.)
>
> I would be grateful about any other examples of this kind!

Spans of sets.  The cartesian product of sets has an associator, so
the tensor product of spans does, too.

--
Mike Stay - metaweta@gmail.com
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mike

@ 2012-07-16 21:30   ` Bruce Bartlett
From: Bruce Bartlett @ 2012-07-16 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roman.krenicky, categories

Representations of 2-groups are nice examples of symmetric monoidal
bicategories with non-trivial coherence data (the "15j" symbols which
categorify the "6j symbols" from representation categories of groups). See
eg. "2-group representations for spin foams", by Baratin and Wise for a
pointer to further literature, http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.1542.

Regards,
Bruce Bartlett

@ 2012-07-17 17:35 ` krenickr