categories - Category Theory list
* Splitting epis by wishful thinking
@ 2013-01-03 12:36 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2013-01-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

On Mathoverflow there is a discussion (see
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/117921/relative-consistency-of-etcs-over-the-theory-of-a-well-pointed-topos-with-nno)
which got me thinking.

Is there a construction which "freely" splits all epis in a category
C? Something like: we add sections to every epi and wish we are done?

The question is somewhat lose, but I think it is clear nontheless.

With kind regards,

Andrej

* Re:  Splitting epis by wishful thinking
@ 2013-01-04 21:50 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2013-01-04 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer  ; +Cc: categories

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:55:07 PM EST Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
asked

> Is there a construction which "freely" splits all epis in a category ... ?

To the responses already received I thought it perhaps worth adding the idea
of
freely (or generically) splitting everything, after a fashion I first heard
described by
Bill Lawvere -- that is, freely adjoining, for each map e (epi or not), a  map
f with
  efe = e (and perhaps, if you like, fef = f) .

Note that, with e epi, efe = e will entail ef = id, i.e., f will be a  section
for e.
Likewise, for e mono, efe = e will entail fe = id, i.e., f will be a
retraction for e.
(In these two cases, of course, it will follow that fef = f. In general, tho',
... .)

One should, of course, ask oneself whether one should really be wanting
sections for
quite all epimorphisms -- in the category [R] of unital rings R, for example,
should one
really ever want the trivializing homomorphisms !: R --> 1 to the terminal
ring to split,
anywhere?

Cheers, -- Fred