categories - Category Theory list
From: "M. Bjerrum" <mb617@cam.ac.uk>
To: Eduardo Pareja-Tobes <eparejatobes@ohnosequences.com>
Cc: David Yetter <dyetter@math.ksu.edu>, categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Name for a concept?
Date: 26 Apr 2013 14:03:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

I suppose that a span is a diagram of finitely many arrows of same domain
(or the op-situation). And the question concerns a name for categories with
co-cones over all such diagrams. I don't have a very poetic name for this.
At the moment I'm content with saying that such categories have V-cocones
(or V-cones) depending on directions. I've seen it being called the
"Amalgamation Property".

But as to what concerns the connection with the question of mixed
interchange of limits in Set, one needs to be very careful:

  If for some doctrine D one defines D-filtered categories to be categories
J such that J-colimits commute with D-limits in Set, then this terminology
will not do, since we then have.

1) If D is equalizers then D-filtered=pseudofiltered. 2) If D is pullbacks
then D-filtered=pseudofiltered. 3) If D is pullbacks and terminal objects,
then D-filtered=filtered (and not proto-pseudofilterd as one could hope
for)

So one need to distinguish between three things:
1) having cocones over certain diagrams.
2) the categories of cocones over certain diagrams are connected.
3) commuting in Set with limits over certain diagrams.

What has been called "sound doctrines", are the doctrines such that 2) and
3) are equivalent.

As a short answer to the open question: If J is a sifted +
proto-pseudofiltered category, i.e sifted and span-directed then J is
pseudofiltered and connected and thus filtered. (since pseudofiltered
categories are categories with filtered connected components)

This kind of reflexions and more, with proofs, will soon be available via
my PhD thesis.

Best wishes,

Marie Bjerrum.