categories - Category Theory list
* Name for a concept?
@ 2013-04-25  3:14 David Yetter
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Yetter @ 2013-04-25  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Is there an existing name in the literature for a category in which every cospan admits a completion to a commutative square?  (Just that, no uniqueness, no universal
properties required, just every cospan sits inside at least one commutative square).  If so, what have such things been called?  If not, does anyone have a poetic idea for a good name for
such categories?

Best Thoughts,
David Yetter

* Re: Name for a concept?
@ 2013-04-27 13:58 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2013-04-27 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

It seems to me that I called it an Ore condition, as suggested by Peter
Johnstone, in my Acyclic Models book and I almost surely got that name
from Gabriel-Zisman.  Since it has been used that way in at least two
books and generalizes a well-known condition from rings (also monoids) I
see no good reason not to go with that.

Michael

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy--the search for a superior moral justification