categories - Category Theory list
* Re: More publicity
@ 2013-06-20  8:17 Aleks Kissinger
From: Aleks Kissinger @ 2013-06-20  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Yetter; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

Hi David,

Could you point me to some papers on this? (both yours and
Reshtikhin/Turaev) I'm particularly interested in the "early" history
of string diagrams (i.e. between Penrose 71 and J&S 91) and
diagrammatic notation in general.

Best,

Aleks

On 13 June 2013 18:55, David Yetter <dyetter@math.ksu.edu> wrote:
> I'm pleased to see the items quoted from Coecke include "string diagrams" as they are now called.
>
> Although they occur first in Kelly and Laplaza's paper on coherence for compact closed categories, and again
> in Street's work with Joyal in the mid-80's, I think I was the first person to use them, in public at least, in the form
> with "coupons" (to borrow the term Reshtikhin and Turaev used a few months later) to represent maps
> which aren't inherent in the (braided or symmetric compact closed) monoidal structure.
>
> Best Thoughts,
> David Y.

* Re: More publicity
@ 2013-06-13 17:55 ` David Yetter
From: David Yetter @ 2013-06-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list; +Cc: Ross Street

On 12 Jun 2013, at 03:41, Ross Street wrote:

> Okay, how about this then?
>
> http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/05/16/quantum-mechanical-words-and-mathematical-organisms/
>
> ==Ross

* More publicity