categories - Category Theory list
* RE: Quipper: a quantum programming language
       [not found] <20130620193647.DBF5F8C0162@chase.mathstat.dal.ca>
@ 2013-06-20 20:27 ` Joyal, André
From: Joyal, André @ 2013-06-20 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Selinger; +Cc: Categories List

Dear Peter,

I thank you for your answer.

Is it possible to "simulate" quantum
computing on ordinary computers?
Operator algebra is matrix algebra.
Surely, there will be a loss of efficiency.
But it might help understanding
the nature of quantum computations.

Best wishes,
-André

From: Peter Selinger @ 2013-06-21  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joyal.andre; +Cc: Categories List

Dear Andre,

yes, you are right. Quantum computers can be simulated on classical
computers, but not efficiently. The simulation can be done in
exponential time (or more specifically, polynomial space). Quipper
includes such a simulator (but it is only intended for testing small
components, not to actually run whole programs).

It is an interesting fact that there are subclasses of quantum
computing that *can* be efficiently simulated. Consider the monoidal
category U of finite dimensional Hilbert spaces and unitary maps.
Consider a 2-dimensional Hilbert space V, and consider the full
subcategory U' with objects {1, V, V*V, V*V*V, ...}; here "*" denotes
tensor product.  It is this monoidal category in which quantum
computation usually "takes place". More precisely, one usually
considers a set of generators, for example, some finite set of maps
A,B,C :: V -> V and another finite set of maps D,E,F :: V*V -> V*V.
Let U'' be the smallest monoidal subcategory of U' that contains these
given maps.  For almost all choices of A...F, U'' will be dense in U'.
In the setting of quantum computing, the generators A...F are called
"gates"; the morphisms of the free monoidal category generated by
A...F are called "circuits", and each circuit of course defines a
morphism of U''. Somehow quantum computing is concerned with how to
write certain interesting unitary maps in terms of the given
generators.

This is quite analogous to classical (boolean) circuits, where
"programming" means to decompose a given boolean function of interest
into elementary gates (usually and, or, not, and a fanout gate). From
the point of view, the difference between classical and quantum
computation is that boolean circuit form a cartesian, rather than
monoidal, category.

To get back to the issue of simulation: Consider the generators
X,Y,Z,H,S and CNOT, where X,Y,Z are the Pauli matrices, H is the
Hadamard gate, S is the phase gate, and CNOT :: V*V -> V*V is the
controlled not gate. Their matrices are:

X      Y       Z       H       S
0 1    0 -i    1  0    s  s    1 0
1 0    i  0    0 -1    s -s    0 i

CNOT
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 1 0

where s = 1 / sqrt(2). The monoidal category U'' spanned by these
generators is the so-called Clifford groupoid. Interestingly, U'' is
not at all dense in U'; moreover, it is a (non-trivial) theorem that
quantum computations using only gates from the Clifford groupoid can
be efficiently simulated on a classical computer. It follows, as a
corollary, that any interesting quantum computation must use at least
one non-Clifford gate.

Sorry, this was probably a much longer answer than you asked for.
I'm indulging myself because I think, as a category theorist, this way
of looking at quantum computation is appealing.

Best, -- Peter

       [not found] <B3C24EA955FF0C4EA14658997CD3E25E6B2DBCAD@CAHIER.gst.uqam.ca>
@ 2013-06-20 19:36 ` Peter Selinger
From: Peter Selinger @ 2013-06-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)