categories - Category Theory list
* Axiomatic Method and Category Theory
@ 2013-10-21 20:19 andrei rodin
       [not found] ` <5267EB81.8060600@dm.uba.ar>
From: andrei rodin @ 2013-10-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear List,

here is my newly published monograph on the history and philosophy of category theory and some other related matters:

http://www.springer.com/philosophy/book/978-3-319-00403-7
http://www.amazon.com/Axiomatic-Method-Category-Synthese-Library/dp/3319004034

The main thesis of the book: Categorical logic brings us back to Euclid leaving Hilbert at the margins (I'm talking here about Hilbert's version of axiomatic method, not about his legacy as a whole).

Table of Contents (Category theory doesn't appear in the book before Chapter 4):
Introduction.- Part I A Brief History of the Axiomatic Method.- Chapter 1. Euclid: Doing and Showing.- Chapter 2. Hilbert: Making It Formal.- Chapter 3. Formal Axiomatic Method and the 20th Century Mathematics.- Chapter. 4 Lawvere: Pursuit of Objectivity.- Conclusion of Part 1.- Part II. Identity and Categorification.- Chapter 5. Identity in Classical and Constructive Mathematics.- Chapter 6. Identity Through Change, Category Theory and Homotopy Theory.- Conclusion of Part 2.- Part III. Subjective Intuitions and Objective Structures.- Chapter 7. How Mathematical Concepts Get Their Bodies. Chapter 8. Categories versus Structures.- Chapter 9. New Axiomatic Method (instead of conclusion).- Bibliography.​

A draft version is on arXiv. I hope some of you may enjoy it and I'll be most grateful for any critique and any comment.

best regards,
AR

* Re: Axiomatic Method and Category Theory
       [not found] ` <5267EB81.8060600@dm.uba.ar>
@ 2013-10-23 15:38   ` andrei rodin
From: andrei rodin @ 2013-10-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo J. Dubuc; +Cc: categories