categories - Category Theory list
* Kan Extension Seminar talks at CT2014
@ 2014-03-30 18:10 Emily Riehl
From: Emily Riehl @ 2014-03-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi all,

I am writing to announce a short series of expository talks to take place in Cambridge, England on Sunday June 29th (the arrival day for CT2014) starting no earlier than 2pm and finishing in time for the welcome reception. The exact location will be announced later.

The talks will be given by members of the Kan Extension Seminar:

www.math.harvard.edu/~eriehl/kan

We are currently half-way through an online category theory reading course with the following syllabus. The links are to expository blog posts written by the students.

* Lawvere, An elementary theory of the category of sets
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/01/an_elementary_theory_of_the_ca.html
* Street, The formal theory of monads
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/01/formal_theory_of_monads_follow.html
* Freyd-Kelly, Categories of continuous functors, I
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/02/categories_of_continuous_funct.html
* Lawvere, Metric spaces, generalized logic and closed categories
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/02/metric_spaces_generalized_logi.html
* Kelly-Street, Review of the elements of 2-categories
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/03/review_of_the_elements_of_2cat.html
* Street-Walters, Yoneda structures on 2-categories
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/03/an_exegesis_of_yoneda_structur.html
* Johnstone, On a topological topos
* Kelly, Elementary observations on 2-categorical limits
* Blackwell-Kelly-Power, Two-dimensional monad theory
* Adámek-Borceux-Lack-Rosický, A classification of accessible categories
* Lack, Codescent objects and coherence
* Shulman, Enriched indexed categories

The June talks will highlight some main theorems from the papers listed above and are aimed at all levels. I highly encourage anyone who finds themselves in Cambridge a few hours early to attend. My students are fantastic, destined to be future leaders in the field. I’d love for you to have the opportunity to get to know them.

Please feel free to get in touch with any questions.

See you in June!
Emily Riehl

--
Benjamin Peirce & NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Mathematics

* Kan Extension Seminar talks at CT2014
@ 2014-06-14 16:44 Emily Riehl
From: Emily Riehl @ 2014-06-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi all,

The Kan Extension Seminar will present a series of eight 15-minute expository talks on Sunday June 29th at Winstanley Lecture Theatre in Trinity College. We’ll have tea starting at 2pm with the first talks to commence at 2:30. There will be a short break around 3:50pm with the second series of talks to begin at 4:10. The talks should finish around 5:30, at which point we’ll walk together to the welcome reception for the CT.

Please join us! We’ve got a fantastic line-up of talks that promise to be interesting and yet understandable with very little assumed background. I’ve listed the speakers and titles below. Abstracts and more information can be found here:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~eriehl/kan/#ct2014

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with questions. I hope to see you there.

Emily Riehl

—

2:30-3:50pm

• Fosco Loregian   —  For the sake of well-completeness
• Tom Avery  —   The Cauchy completion is the Cauchy completion
• Alexander Campbell  —   An Exegesis of Yoneda Structures
• Sean Moss   —   On "On a topological topos”

4:10pm-5:30pm

• Christina Vasilakopoulou   —  Comma-objects in 2-categories
• Tim Campion   —  D-Accessible Categories and Free Colimit Completions
• Alex Corner   —   Coherence for categorical structures
• Clive Newstead   —   Overview of Lawvere's ETCS