categories - Category Theory list
* ResearchGate
@ 2014-04-17 13:49 Ieke Moerdijk
From: Ieke Moerdijk @ 2014-04-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear colleagues,

Every week, I receive an invitation "from one of you" to join ResearchGate,
whatever this is.
And some of you may receive invitations "from me". I have been ignoring
these e-mails,
but am getting more and more annoyed. There are some people out there
building up a
data base, which they will next sell to interested parties, such as
commercial publishers.

What they are doing is probably illegal, in the sense that, for example,
they are claiming to
write "on Joyal's behalf" in the case copied below. I believe we should do
something about
this. Do we have a legal expert in our midst? Are we going to claim our
share when they sell?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Ieke.

From: Joyal, André @ 2014-04-30 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ieke Moerdijk, categories

Dear Ieke,

This is quite funny!
I could be dead and you would receive an invitation from me!
Scary!

-André

[...]

Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 11:42:24 +0000 (UTC)
From:
Joyal Andre <no-reply@researchgate.net>
To:
i.moerdijk@math.ru.nl

ResearchGate

[profile_default_m.jpg]

Your co-author Joyal Andre invited you to join their network on ResearchGate
and confirm authorship of your publications.

[profile_default_m.png]

Ieke Moerdijk
86 Publications · 6.94 Impact Points · 876 Citations

* Re: ResearchGate
@ 2014-05-01 16:40   ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2014-05-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Joyal, André"; +Cc: Ieke Moerdijk, categories

I also receive every week an invitation from people I Know (most are in
the cat-list) to join ResearchGate, and ignore these mails. I thought
this gate was a sort of "Who is Who". Is today Who is Who also a data
base ?.

I am not worry too much about all this because it is the future and we
have to adapt and learn to live with it. For example, if he likes, Obama
would be reading this mail, there is nothing we can do about it.

Cheers   Eduardo.

* Re: ResearchGate
@ 2014-05-03 10:17     ` gaucher
From: gaucher @ 2014-05-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo J. Dubuc; +Cc: categories

[Note from moderator: Nothing further on this subject, thanks.]

Le 2014-05-01 18:40, Eduardo J. Dubuc a ??crit??:
> I also receive every week an invitation from people I Know (most are in
> the cat-list) to join ResearchGate, and ignore these mails. I thought
> this gate was a sort of "Who is Who". Is today Who is Who also a data
> base ?.

It is just a (harmless I believe) social network, like facebook, but for
researchers only.

pg.