categories - Category Theory list
* Re: generalised cartesian multicategories
@ 2014-07-08  3:07 Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2014-07-08  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hirschowitz; +Cc: categories

Can you say anything about what it means for "cartesian
multicategories" to "make sense" for a monad T?

There is a more general notion of generalized multicategory which
takes place in a more general bicategory (or, better, a double
category) than T-spans, and which includes cartesian multicategories
as a special case (see
http://tac.mta.ca/tac/volumes/24/21/24-21abs.html for a unified
account, as well as references to a lot of prior work).  I suspect
that your "cartesian T-multicategories" are probably generalized
multicategories in this sense relative to some other monad built out
of T.

Mike

       [not found]   ` <acf1ef41ebfd467994d32f046eab4d1c@LANDO.ad.sandiego.edu>
@ 2014-07-09 23:00     ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2014-07-09 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hirschowitz; +Cc: categories

Ok, here's a more precise version of my guess.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Tom Hirschowitz
<tom.hirschowitz@univ-savoie.fr> wrote:
> But i can say what it'd like it to mean for my
> particular monad T = fm fc: for any graph G, consider the span fm(G) -|→
> fm(G) defined by
>
> ∑ₘ Gᵐ ← ∑_{m,n} mⁿ ⋅ Gᵐ → ∑ₙ Gⁿ
> (m,e) ↤     (m,n,f,e)   ↦ (n, e ∘ f)  (both on edges and vertices).
>
> If i'm correct, this forms a monad in Span(Gph), by composing underlying
> maps (f here), say M.
>
> Cartesian structure on a T-multicategory  E : TG -|→ G consists of an
> action E ∘ M → E satisfying some axioms to be made precise, e.g.,

Tom clarified by private email that if the definition of M from G is
denoted M_G, then in the last paragraph above he means M_{fc(G)}, so
that M : TG -|→ TG and hence E ∘ M : TG -|→ G.

A monad in a bicategory of spans is, of course, an internal category.
I suspect that your construction G |→ M_{fc(G)} can be extended to a
monad on the bicategory of internal profunctors in Gph, and that your
cartesian T-multicategories are generalized multicategories for this
monad (which are "object-discrete" in the sense of my paper with Geoff
that I cited in my last email, since their underlying object is a
graph G rather than an internal category in graphs).

Mike

* Re: generalised cartesian multicategories
       [not found] ` <CAOvivQy0pzP66tSPB6KRCk4=5VFv0-vfvTzOdUhf6AvzrvN1Gg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-07-08  7:06   ` Tom Hirschowitz
       [not found]   ` <acf1ef41ebfd467994d32f046eab4d1c@LANDO.ad.sandiego.edu>
From: Tom Hirschowitz @ 2014-07-08  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: categories

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot for your answer and hint, I'll try to figure this out. The
answer to your question

> Can you say anything about what it means for "cartesian
> multicategories" to "make sense" for a monad T?

is: not yet in general. But i can say what it'd like it to mean for my
particular monad T = fm fc: for any graph G, consider the span fm(G) -|→
fm(G) defined by

∑ₘ Gᵐ ← ∑_{m,n} mⁿ ⋅ Gᵐ → ∑ₙ Gⁿ
(m,e) ↤     (m,n,f,e)   ↦ (n, e ∘ f)  (both on edges and vertices).

If i'm correct, this forms a monad in Span(Gph), by composing underlying
maps (f here), say M.

Cartesian structure on a T-multicategory  E : TG -|→ G consists of an
action E ∘ M → E satisfying some axioms to be made precise,  e.g.,

(E M M → E M → E) = (E M M → E M → E),

(E → E M → E) = id_E

(E E M → E M → E) = (E E M → E E → E)

(maybe more?).

Concretely, the domain of a morphism in such a T-multicategory is a
finite sequence of paths in the underlying graph G, i.e., (ignoring the
case of empty paths) tuples of tuples

((e¹₁,…,e¹ₙ₁),
…,
(eᵖ₁,…,eᵖₙₚ)),

where target(eⁱⱼ) = source(eⁱ_{j+1}) (but not, e.g., target(eⁱₙᵢ) =
source(e^{i+1}₁) in general).

Does that make any sense?
Tom

* generalised cartesian multicategories