categories - Category Theory list
From: "George Janelidze" <janelg@telkomsa.net>
To: "Jean Bénabou" <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
Cc: "Categories" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: A brief survey of cartesian functors
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:58:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your kind words at the beginning of your message, and I
apologize if what I said about "factorization" and "cartesian" was unclear.

I did not mean to say that there is any connection between factorization
systems and (pre foliations + cartesian FUNCTORS). What I was trying to say,
was only that the following two constructions are essentially the same (up
to an isomorphism):

(a) For a fibration C-->X every morphism f in C factors as f = me, where m
is a cartesian ARROW and e is a vertical arrow (with respect to the given
fibration).

(b) For a semi-left-exact reflection C-->X (in the sense of
Cassidy--Hebert--Kelly) every morphism f in C factors as f = me, where m is
in M, e is in E, E is the class of all morphisms inverted by C-->X, and M is
its orthogonal class (M can also be defined as the class of trivial covering
morphisms in the sense of Galois theory).

I know this might sound trivial to you, but I think it is a fundamental
connection, which should be widely known. And I believe that instead of

"indexed categories versus fibrations"

one should sometimes also consider

"indexed categories versus fibrations versus semi-left-exact reflections"
(this is why I mentioned a "third approach").

Let me also add now: according to Cassidy--Hebert--Kelly, the factorization
mentioned in (b), where E is as in (b), and M is merely its orthogonal
class, also exists under certain assumptions much weaker than
semi-left-exactness.

But again, I never thought that what you do with pre foliations and
cartesian functors is a similar kind of factorization and/or that it is
contained in the Cassidy--Hebert--Kelly paper!

And I hope you have never felt from me any disrespect of your opinions
and/or of your beautiful ideas and results.

Best regards,
George