categories - Category Theory list
* YT at Seoul ICM 2014
@ 2014-08-06  6:52 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2014-08-06  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

It surprises me as much as anyone, but the price of eschewing LaTeX
seems to be to wind up learning a smattering of HTML ... and of PS (!).

Or so I must infer from the nature of the talk I'm giving either to
geometers or to mathematical pedagogues at the upcoming ICM -- entitled
"A piecewise cubic PostScript trefoil", it offers a piecewise polynomial
parametrization of the trefoil knot -- a continuously differentiable
stitching together of six rotated and reflected copies of one basic
pattern-curve arising as part of the graph of a well-chosen cubic
polynomial that any basic linear algebra student can come up with.

The cute trick is that you don't need any fluency in linear algebra
technique at all -- PostScript will do it all for you -- solve your
problem, plot your cubic curve, and rotate and reflect it, as much as
is required.

For a five-sheet comix-spread PDF (caution: 2+ MB) of the talk slides, grab

http://fej.math.wes.tlvp.net/ICM-2014/SeoulSlideComics.pdf .

And enjoy, with a nice, cool, mint julep :-) .

-- Fred

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-08-06  6:52 UTC | newest]