categories - Category Theory list
* Journal pricing
@ 2014-10-19 11:40 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2014-10-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to call your attention to this:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/apr/24/harvard-university-journal-publishers-prices

If even Harvard cannot keep up with the cost of journals, who can?  As we
know, during the 90s, there were two sharp trends: the cost of publishing
mathematics dropped precipitously as more and more mathematicians were
using tex to typeset their own papers, and the price of journals rose
equally precipitously.  As you all know, the first trend led to the
founding of TAC about 20 years ago which is a cost-free journal.

It is also interesting to look at the linked story:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/apr/09/frustrated-blogpost-boycott-scientific-journals

about how the Fields medalist Tim Gowers has reacted to journals pricing.

Bob has given me permission to post this on the categories list, but NOT
to start a general discussion there.  Any comments should therefore be
addressed to me.

Michael

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-10-19 11:40 UTC | newest]