categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Simplified definition of scheme proposed by Grothendieck
       [not found] <CAL+Rf9en3kMA9CiUsTsW6SGfGtrY9NFcWC8sNuwe23QuRHjmww@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-11-28 23:53 ` David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2014-11-28 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkata Rayudu Posina; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

Ah, thanks, that's exactly the sort of explanation I was hoping for.
And after I sent my message, I thought that Gaeta's notes might be
relevant (they cam be found at
http://www.math.jussieu.fr/~leila/grothendieckcircle/FuncAlg.pdf)

Thanks also to those that responded privately. Thomas Holder in
particular pointed to further messages from Lawvere reproduced at

http://mathoverflow.net/a/52894/4177

in the context of the general concept of Nullstellensatz.

Best regards,

David

--
Dr David Roberts
Research Associate

* Re: Simplified definition of scheme proposed by Grothendieck
@ 2014-11-28 13:53 Venkata Rayudu Posina
From: Venkata Rayudu Posina @ 2014-11-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

@ 2014-11-28  6:34 David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2014-11-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

Dear all,

in the TAC reprint 'Comments on the development of topos theory', Lawvere writes

> during that [1973 stay in Buffalo, Grothendieck] also advocated the
> abandonment of his earlier complicated definition of 'scheme', but
> unfortunately the simpler alternative he offered does not seem to have
> found its way into the textbooks

What would this simplified definition be?

Also, reference is made to a document held in Jack Duskin's files made
during this visit. If this document still exists, I would exhort
whoever has it to donate it, or a high-quality scan of it, to the
Grothendieck Circle people. After G's passing, his works have gone
back online, apparently with the permission of his family, see

http://www.grothendieckcircle.org/

Best regards,

David