categories - Category Theory list
* Applications of (higher) category theory to computer science
@ 2014-12-11 13:38 Dee Roytenberg
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Dee Roytenberg @ 2014-12-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear colleagues,

Could someone recommend a good text on the subject? I am aware of the book
by Barr and Wells; however, unlike that book, which is intended for
computer scientists who want to learn category theory, I am looking for
something, in a way, opposite: a source for those who know category theory
but not much of computer science.

Many thanks in advance.

- Dee

* RE: Applications of (higher) category theory to computer science
@ 2014-12-13 21:37 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2014-12-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dee Roytenberg, categories

Another suggestion regarding Dee Roytenberg's request for

>> ... a good text on the subject [Applications of (higher)
>> category theory to computer science]? ...

in addition to

> Category Theory applied to Computation and Control, ... 1974, ... :

there's also perhaps David Spivak's very 21st century Category Theory for
the Sciences, ISBN 978-0-262-02813-4, MIT Press, 2014. Very little actual
category theory, apart from definitions, examples and illustrations, but
it's exactly those examples and illustrations (taken from computer science,
from sociology, from physics, from biology, from operations research, etc.)
that may be what the OP is seeking.

Be aware that, in this book's presentation, Yoneda's Lemma finally turns
up somewhat past page 400 (of 486 pp. total), and, for its proof (which I
guess lies beyond the scope of Spivak's book), the reader is referred
to Mac Lane's Categories for the Working Mathematician :-) .

Cheers, -- Fred