categories - Category Theory list
* Achieving "neither P nor not P"
@ 2014-12-13  9:19 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2014-12-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Here's a thought that may seem a bit off-topic, having more to do,
at first glance, with "paradoxical" logic than with categories.

Eleven years ago, for a conference in Bangalore [1], I was trying to
present natural-seeming examples of statements P each illustrating
another of the four distinct, mutually exclusive, jointly exhaustive,
and individually indispensable "logical possibilities" thought available
for P in the logic of the Hindu catuskoti, or Tetralemma principle: that,
given P, one have either P, or ~P, or both P and ~P, or neither P nor ~P.

(Note that an Aristotelean would hold that already P and ~P are mutually
exclusive and jointly exhaustive, so that the last two are simply false,
hence utterly dispensable.)

The only illustrations I could come up with back then for a P with
"neither P nor ~P" always struck me as somewhat artificial; so that
I was greatly heartened, recently, to stumble on a far more natural
illustration as outgrowth of a discussant's sardonic comment, concluding
his remarks on how contemporary web page design strategies needed to be
modified to take into account the fact that *touch* is more and more
replacing *mouse cursor and click* as the user interface of choice:

"Change is good."

Well, he didn't mean it, of course: he said it entirely tongue-in-cheek.
But it hit me: that's a superb illustration of a P with "neither P nor ~P":
for, in fact (in my view), such "change" is neither good nor not good -- it
just is, and may need to be accommodated :-) ).

Enjoy! And cheers, -- Fred
---
[1] pp. 62-73 of ISBN 81-85931-58-5, www.hindbook.com, 2005 (esp. pp. 70-71);
cf. http://www.hindbook.com/images/book_content/Emch.pdf ; or
www.hindbook.com/index.php/contributions-to-the-history-of-indian-mathematics

* Re: Achieving "neither P nor not P"
@ 2014-12-14 20:08 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2014-12-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt, categories

Vaughan Pratt wrote:

> Fred, I don't believe you can reliably conflate the propositions "change
> is not good" and "not(change is good)".

Careful, Vaughan, could you simply be conflating one of those,
and not the other, with "change is bad"? I can't do that, myself.

> In fact I believe you can't reliably conflate them.

Well, that belief's a good reason for you not to "believe you can",
but I don't seem to share that belief yet :-) .

Or perhaps, once the novelty of the example wears off, I'll come to realize
it limps as badly as the earlier examples adduced in that Bangalore piece.

Cheers, -- Fred