categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Our friend Bob Walters
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 12:58:54 -0500	[thread overview]

Dear colleagues and friends,

We have suffered yet another great loss to our categories group - RFC
(Bob) Walters. The last time I saw him was at the Memorial Conference
for Aurelio Carboni, Milano, June 2013. The photo whose link is given
below, taken by Danilo Lawvere, shows from left
to right:  me, George Janelidze, Patrizia Giachetti, Bob Walters, Bill
Lawvere, and Davide Bernardini.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjnj9tepsi20gyc/AABGfb5vk-BeTMj4ifB8iIWJa?dl=0

Both Aurelio and Bob worked together during several years at Insubria,
Como. When Aurelio did not show up at the Calais CT Conference, I asked
Bob Walters why, and he told me that Aurelio was not sick but worse -
"disillusioned" with the "new developments"
in Category Theory, a sentiment which several of us shared. Bob
encouraged me then to visit Aurelio in Como. An interchange of emails
followed but I could not make it. Aurelio and I had worked together
during my sabbatical in Genova, 2005-06 and had plans for
a sequel. Our joint paper "The symmetric topos" benefited from his
incredible algebraic intuition and led to further work. What Aurelio was
  suffering from, however,  was not just disillusionment, as Bob Walters
and even his wife Patrizia Giachetti believed,
but something much more serious and he died shortly after.

Having now lost both Aurelio Carboni and Bob Walters has been a big blow
  to our group of colleagues and friends in Italy and elsewhere. My deep
condolences go to Bob's wife and collaborator Nicoletta Sabadini, to his
  Italian colleagues and friends, and to the
entire Category Theory Community.

Marta Bunge