categories - Category Theory list
From: "Eduardo J. Dubuc" <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>
To: Ronnie Brown <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>,
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Category without objects
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 13:44:22 -0300	[thread overview]

It seems to me:

Eheresmann arrived to the concept of categories as a generalization of
groupoids, and he was dealing with small internal categories (the set of
arrows (or elements) were differential manifolds etc). This explains why
he dismissed objects in his later treatment of abstract categories.

Eilemberg and MacLane arrived to the concept of categories as an
abstraction of the large concrete categories of sets with structure and
functions which were considered to be morphisms for the structure.
Objects were essential in this approach.

That the insight of E. M. to do not dismiss objects in the abstract
setting was  wonderful is that to-day we can not conceive groupoids
without objects.