categories - Category Theory list
* terminology of (co)algebras
@ 2015-10-09 13:27 Jiri Adamek
From: Jiri Adamek @ 2015-10-09 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories net

Does anyone know who was the first author to speak about F-algebras
and/or F-coalgebras where F is a mere endofunctor? Lambek proved his
famous lemma without using any name for the objects. And Arbib and Manes
proved a number of properties but used the word "F-dynamics".

Thanks Jiri

* Re: terminology of (co)algebras
@ 2015-10-09 18:06 ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2015-10-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Adamek; +Cc: categories net

I am not sure if I was the first, but I defined T-algebras for an
endofunctor T in my paper, Coequalizers and free triples.  You can find it
at http://www.math.mcgill.ca/barr/papers/#1970s, it being my first 1970s
paper.  As the name suggests, the category of T-algebras is often
tripleable.

Michael