categories - Category Theory list
* Re: not(CH) and cardinal inequality in the absence of LEM
@ 2015-10-28 11:25 David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2015-10-28 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

Dear all,

as an obvious-in-hindsight followup in my part 2), the idea that
Epi(Y,X) = 0 gives strictness of a cardinal inequality clearly loses
its meaning in the absence of the Cantor-Bernstein-Schröder Theorem.
What should (perhaps) be considered is the subobject Iso(Y,X) of
Epi(Y,X), and if Y injects to X and Iso(Y,X) = 0, then one can
unambiguously say Y < X. Or at least less ambiguously! There are of
course variants where one says instead that (X surjects onto Y) xor
(Y=0), or Y is a subquotient of X.

One gets of course variants, for fixed X, analogous to the case X=|N
where different notions of finiteness arise (Kuratowski finite,
subfinite etc)

Best regards,

David

--
Dr David Roberts
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/David+Roberts

Visiting Fellow
School of Mathematical Sciences
University of Adelaide
SA 5005
AUSTRALIA

"When I consider what people generally want in calculating, I found
that it always is a number."
-- al-Khwārizmī

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information.  If you think it was sent to you by mistake,  please delete all
copies and advise the sender.  For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this
email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

* not(CH) and cardinal inequality in the absence of LEM
@ 2015-10-28  7:40 David Roberts