categories - Category Theory list
* Topological *-autonomous categories,revisited
@ 2016-03-18 19:07 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2016-03-18 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

During February, I gave a series of talks based on a paper published ten
years ago in TAC, called "Topological *-autonomous categories".  While
preparing the lectures I came on a number of serious defects in that
paper.  One curious fact is that I mentioned as motivation is a question
from Andre Joyal whether the results for real and complex topological
vector spaces were also valid for vector spaces over the p-adic
completions of the rationals.  But I never addressed that question in the
paper, let alone solved it.  I have now prepared a paper, "Topological
*-autonomous categories, revisited" which fixes all the deficiencies and
also answers Joyal's question (it is valid for all locally compact fields,
which includes those p-adic completions as well as their finite
extensions. Similar results hold for the t-adic completions of the Laurent
series rings Z_p{t}.

The paper is on my web site.

* Re: Topological *-autonomous categories, revisited
@ 2016-11-02 13:44 ` Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2016-11-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, categories

On 11 Sep 2016, at 17:07, Michael Barr wrote:
> Omissis    ... but should be published elsewhere.  Where for
> heaven's sake?  Certainly not in one of the hundreds of vanity
> journals whose solicitations fill my mailbox daily.

I wanted to reply as below (to that part of the message ); I am sorry
I forgot.
There is a recent journal in Iran:

     CGASA,  Categories and General Algebraic Structures with
Applications
     www.cgasa.ir

 	They are now preparing a special volume on the occasion of  B.
Banaschewski's 90th birthday, as announced on this list on 19 April
2016 (19:36:59 GMT+02:00); the deadline has just expired...

As far as I know the journal, online and printed, is free.
I think it is up to us to send good contributions and make it live.

Regards, Marco

* Topological *-autonomous categories, revisited
@ 2016-09-11 15:07 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2016-09-11 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories net

In 2006 I published a paper called Topological *-autonomous categories
(TAC, 16, 700-708).  Looking it over early this year I realized it was
badly flawed with gaps, incorrect proofs, and omissions (of things claimed
in the intro).  I have rewritten it, fixing all the flaws (I hope at any
rate).  Somewhat reluctantly, I submitted it to TAC, but the referee felt,
doubtless correctly, that this revision was not really up to the quality
of the leading journal in CT, but should be published elsewhere.  Where
for heaven's sake?  Certainly not in one of the hundreds of vanity
journals whose solicitations fill my mailbox daily.

Anyway, it is the top paper that appears on the web site that contains
virtually all the papers I have ever written as well as a few
miscellaneous things (such as the Tohoku translation):
http://www.math.mcgill.ca/barr/papers/.

Michael