categories - Category Theory list
* looking for a paper
@ 2016-06-15 17:49 Björn Gohla
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Björn Gohla @ 2016-06-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

dear colleagues,

i am looking for a paper that i remember reading some years ago, but now seem
unable to find.

it contained a detailed discussion of general quotients of categories, i.e.,
where objects can get identified.

i'd be grateful for any hints anyone can offer.

--
thanks,
björn

* Re: looking for a paper
@ 2016-06-16 16:00 ` Andrée Ehresman
From: Andrée Ehresman @ 2016-06-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Gohla, categories

General quotient categories have been studied by Charles Ehresmann in
the 60's. In particular in his book

"Cat?gories et Structures" (Dunod 1965), Chapter III, which takes back
results from

"Cohomologie ? valeurs dans une cat?gorie dominee" (1964) and other
articles which are reprinted in

"Charles Ehresmann: Oeuvres completes et commentees" Part III-2, freely
downloadable from

http://ehres.pagesperso-orange.fr

Best

Andree

* Re: looking for a paper
@ 2016-06-16 20:14 ` Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2016-06-16 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Gohla, categories

Might be this:
M.A. Bednarczyk, A.M. Borzyszkowski and W. Pawlowski, Generalized congruences-epimorphisms in Cat,
Theory Appl. Categ. 5 (1999), No. 11, 266-280.

Regards, Marco

On 15/giu/2016, at 19.49, Björn Gohla wrote:

> dear colleagues,
>
> i am looking for a paper that i remember reading some years ago, but now seem
> unable to find.
>
> it contained a detailed discussion of general quotients of categories, i.e.,
> where objects can get identified.
>
> i'd be grateful for any hints anyone can offer.
>
> --
> thanks,
> björn

* Re: looking for a paper
@ 2016-06-17 14:03 ` tholen
From: tholen @ 2016-06-17 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Gohla; +Cc: categories

Hello Björn,

Back in the 70s Reinhard Börger wrote a Master's thesis on such general
quotient categories. His main findings of the time are recorded as
Theorem 2.3 in my commemorative article of his work, available at

http://www.math.yorku.ca/~tholen/ReinhardBoergerTribute.pdf

A shortened version of that article is due to appear in the "Cahiers".

Regards,

Walter

Quoting Björn Gohla <b.gohla@gmx.de>:

> dear colleagues,
>
> i am looking for a paper that i remember reading some years ago, but now seem
> unable to find.
>
> it contained a detailed discussion of general quotients of categories, i.e.,
> where objects can get identified.
>
> i'd be grateful for any hints anyone can offer.
>
> --
> thanks,
> björn

* Re: looking for a paper
@ 2016-06-17 14:57   ` Björn Gohla
From: Björn Gohla @ 2016-06-17 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Grandis; +Cc: categories

On Thursday 16 June 2016 22:14:36 Marco Grandis wrote:
> Might be this:
> M.A. Bednarczyk, A.M. Borzyszkowski and W. Pawlowski, Generalized
> congruences-epimorphisms in Cat, Theory Appl. Categ. 5 (1999), No. 11,
> 266-280.
[...]

that's exactly the one. thanks.