categories - Category Theory list
* Fibred 2-category of Grothendieck toposes?
@ 2016-12-02 10:20 Steve Vickers
       [not found] ` <2C7348C8-AAE0-4F33-A2B2-A4E112740F25@cs.bham.ac.uk>
       [not found] ` <98602071-6A60-42DF-BFC7-2C4E2745F980@cs.bham.ac.uk>
From: Steve Vickers @ 2016-12-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

If "Grothendieck topos" means bounded geometric morphism into a given
base S, then by allowing the base to vary we can get a 2-category GTop
of Grothendieck toposes, fibred over some form of ETop (elementary
toposes). This is because pseudopullbacks of bounded geometric morphisms
along arbitrary geometric morphisms exist and are still bounded. (I say
"some form of" ETop because it may be better to restrict the 2-cells
downstairs to be isos, even though we certainly don't want to do the
same upstairs. Also nnos are needed if classifying toposes are to exist.)

Has anyone worked on that particular combination of bounded and unbounded?

Steve Vickers.

[parent not found: <8135_1480682187_58416ACB_8135_508_1_E1cCn2y-0006W1-1X@mlist.mta.ca>]
* Fibred 2-category of Grothendieck toposes?
@ 2017-01-17 11:27 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2017-01-17 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories; +Cc: Marta Bunge, Thomas Streicher

This picks up a thread from a month ago, regarding an idea that
Grothendieck toposes, interpreted generally as geometric morphisms
bounded over the codomain base topos, might be treated in a 2- (or
bi-)fibrational way over a variable base.

I have now completed a paper "Arithmetic universes and classifying
toposes" that does this. It is submitted to arXiv, and meanwhile
available at

   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~sjv/papersfull.php#AUClTop

The arithmetic universes enter in via a logic interpretable in any
elementary topos with nno. The "arithmetic" reasoning gives topos
results that are base-independent and also "geometric", in the sense
that when the base varies along a geometric morphism, the classifying
topos transforms by pseudopullback.

Steve.