categories - Category Theory list
* Term for edges between graph homomorphisms?
@ 2017-03-16 16:58 Mike Stay
From: Mike Stay @ 2017-03-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

If we define a graph to be a tuple (E, V, s: E -> V, t: E -> V), then
the category Gph of graphs and graph homomorphisms is cartesian closed
(in fact, a topos).  For any pair of graphs G, G', there is a "hom
graph" whose vertices are graph homomorphisms from G to G' and whose
edges are things I've been calling "graph shifts".  A graph shift S
between two graph homomorphisms F, F':G -> G' assigns to each vertex g
in G an edge S(g) in G' from F(g) to F'(g).

Is there a more common term for a "graph shift"?
--
Mike Stay - metaweta@gmail.com
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mike

* Re: Term for edges between graph homomorphisms?
@ 2017-03-17 18:03 RONALD BROWN
From: RONALD BROWN @ 2017-03-17 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stay, categories

Mike,

You might find the following paper relevant:

R. Brown, I. Morris, J. Shrimpton and C.D. Wensley, `Graphs of Morphisms of Graphs', Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, A1 of Volume 15(1), 2008. 1-28.

However we do not seem to have given a name to the arrows of GPH(B,C) occurring in

Gph(A \time B, C) \cong Gph(A, GPH(B,C)).

Ronnie