categories - Category Theory list
* 1-year postdoc/teaching possition + PhD positions in Brussels
@ 2017-04-06 15:10 Joost Vercruysse
From: Joost Vercruysse @ 2017-04-06 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[Announcement of PhD-positions below]

There is a one-year position (starting at 1/10/2017) available at the \université Libre de Bruxelles\ (ULB), to replace a professor that leaves our department. The opening is in algebraic geometry, but this will be interpretted in a very broad sense.

http://www.ulb.ac.be/facs/sciences/math/emploi.html

Somewhat misleading, our university calls this postion a “postdoc”, but the teaching load is high compared to usual postdocs: up to 120h (4 courses)  for  applicants with a PhD from before 30/9/2014, or up to 90h (3 courses) for applicants with a PhD that was obtained later.
As almost all of our teaching (especially in Bachelor years) is in French, the ideal candidate should be able to teach in French from the beginning of the mandate.

The vacancy will be re-opened (in a new call) for a permanent possition in 2018.

If someone is interested, she/he can contact myself (jvercruy@ulb.ac.be), the president of the Math department presmath@ulb.ac.be (Ignace Loris) or the president of the "teaching commitee” of the Math department dbonheur@ulb.ac.be.
The closing date for applications is 1/5/2017.

——

Apart from the above, the Math Department of the ULB also announced the opening of 4 mandates for teaching assistants, all starting at 1/10/2017. These are 2 year mandates that are renewable twice (so 6 years in total). The renewal of a mandate is usually just a formality.
In the Belgian system, a teaching assistant spends about 50% of his time on teaching (and related pedagogical tasks), and 50% on research that leads to a PhD (which should be obtained within the 6 years time). Since most of the teaching in our department is in French, candidates who can show that they are able to teach in French from the start of the mandate will clearly have an advantage.

The positions are open to all disciplines, but in order to apply, an applicant should first get in contact with a professor of the Math Department who is willing to act as the supervisor of the PhD.
Our department has research groups in Algebra and combinatorics, Differential Geometry, Partial Differential equations, Mechanics and applied mathematics, Actuarial sciences, Mathematical Statistics and Probability.

More information can be found here
http://www.ulb.ac.be/facs/sciences/math/emploi.html
The deadline for applications is 19/6/2017

Best wishes,
Joost Vercruysse.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-04-06 15:10 UTC | newest]