categories - Category Theory list
* When is Fam(E) a topos?
@ 2017-04-24  9:57 Peter Johnstone
From: Peter Johnstone @ 2017-04-24  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Others may have noticed a slight gap in what I wrote on Saturday,
concerning the difference between toposes with set-indexed
copowers and those with coproducts. If E has copowers then the
functor Delta exists, but to prove that Fam(E) is equivalent to
the topos obtained by glueing along it you need arbitrary
coproducts. In fact these are necessary for Fam(E) to be
cartesian closed; I now have a proof of this, but it's a bit
too complicated to write out in ASCII. I plan to write it up as
a short paper.

Peter Johnstone

* when is Fam (E) a topos?
@ 2017-04-19  9:23 Thomas Streicher
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.10.1704221719340.10704@siskin.dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2017-04-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

A couple of days ago I made the wrong claim that

> If BB is a topos and P : XX -> BB is a fibration then P is a fibration
> of toposes iff XX is a topos and P is a logical functor.

The following shows how wrong this claim is.

Let E be a topos then Fam(E) -> Set is certainly a fibered topos
but by Th.6.2.3 of Pieter Hofstra's Thesis Fam(E) is a topos iff E is
an atomic category (in the sense of Johnstone's 1977 book on Topos Theory,
exercise 12 on p. 257). But in atomic categories all morphisms are epic
and thus Fam(E) is a topos only if E is trivial.

Thus, for the motivating examples of fibred toposes the total category
is a topos only in the trivial case!

Thomas