categories - Category Theory list
* Models of finite-limit sketches in internal logic of a (pre)topos
@ 2017-07-10 23:14 David Roberts
       [not found] ` <5965F8FE.4080402@cs.bham.ac.uk>
From: David Roberts @ 2017-07-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

Hi all,

I believe that if one has some finite limit sketch S, then models of S
in the internal logic of a topos E should be equivalent to external
models. I'm thinking here about forcing from the sheaf-theoretic
viewpoint, so that some algebraic gizmo in the forced model(=in
internal logic of the topos) is none other than that algebraic gizmo
internal to the category from the external perspective. Or, that a
model in some filterquotient E/~ of a topos E is equivalent to a model
in E.

Is there a reference I could point to? Or is it obvious because a
finite-limit sketch uses no quantifiers etc? I would guess such
reasoning to hold in a much more general setting than a topos, for
instance pretoposes or regular categories.

A second question, that I do not know the answer to: how far can one
generalise theories (from finite-limit etc) and still get {models in
internal logic} ~ {models in the category}? Here "the category" has
sufficient structure to interpret the theory.

Thanks,
David

--
David Roberts
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/David+Roberts

* Re: Models of finite-limit sketches in internal logic of a (pre)topos
@ 2017-07-12 21:38 ` Colin McLarty
       [not found] ` <5965F8FE.4080402@cs.bham.ac.uk>
From: Colin McLarty @ 2017-07-12 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

It seems to me the key point here is that the generalized element
characterizations of finite limits (in any category) look just like the
usual element characterizations in sets.   The elements defined over any
object T of an equalizer for parallel arrows f,g:A-->B are exactly those T
elements x:T-->A with fx=gx, and the elements defined over T of  a product
AxB are exactly the pairs <x,y> of one T-element x:T-->A and one y:T-->B.

The same does not hold even for colimits let alone quantifiers.

Of course when I say the elements "are" these i could as well say they
"correspond to" those in the obvious way.  That is an issue for precise
foundations.

Does that seem to you to be the point?

Colin

       [not found]   ` <CAFL+ZM_PknC+qUa4j8SCqzbQJE8QGr88rROmO-O0tZzhLp+z6A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-07-13 10:33     ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2017-07-13 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: droberts.65537; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

Dear David,

MB, with its Kripke-Joyal semantics, is often taken as the "internal
language for toposes", and is indeed good for the whole of the
elementary topos structure. However, there is also a geometric fragment
with an interpretation that does not rely on the subobject classifier.
Predicates are interpreted directly as subobjects, rather than as
morphisms to Omega. n-Lab distinguishes between "Mitchell-Benabou"

   https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Mitchell-B%C3%A9nabou+language

and "internal logic"

   https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/internal+logic

An advantage of the second kind is that it can be exploited in a much
wider range of structured categories. You can see this done
systematically in Elephant D1.

Since finite limit sketches correspond logically to cartesian theories,
which are geometric, you may find it easier to make the connection using
that second notion of internal logic.

I'm still not sure exactly what you would be trying to prove - I rather
take it for granted that the connection between the category theory and
the internal logic is secure, and you may well find that Elephant D1
provides the answers you want. Apart from that, you may also find my
paper with Palmgren helpful - "Partial Horn logic and cartesian
categories". It is about cartesian theories (hence finite limit
sketches) and shows how to express them in a simple way using
conjunctions and equality in a logic based on Elephant D1 but adapted to
deal with partial terms.

I don't know enough about filter quotients to say anything sensible
about your use of them.

Regards,

Steve.