categories - Category Theory list
From: Timothy Porter <t.porter.maths@gmail.com>
To: Ronnie Brown <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
Cc: Camell Kachour <camell.kachour@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Homotopy hypothesis for contractible operad definitions of weak n-categories
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:53:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Ronnie,

The point about pointed spaces is perhaps not really that difficult to get
around at least partially. Using either the Bullejos-Cegarra-Duskin method
or my approach the formulae for simplicial groups extends more or less to
simplicially enriched groupoids and thus to all homotopy types.  This works
equally well for your point in the second paragraph, but the obscure part
is the following:

I will look back at the examples in arXiv:0903.2627v2, but I remember
discussing this with you and one of the differences is that in a
simplicially enriched groupoid, G, one has a simplicial groupoid with
constant object of objects. What this means for translating the simplicial
composition in G into structure in the corresponding cat^n objects is where
interesting things start happening so writing L for Loday's construction
one wants to use a composition
G(x,y)xG(y,z)-> G(x,z) for give something at the level of
LG(x,y)?LG(y,z)->LG(x,z), where ? is some construction not yet defined.

This should be  possible to analyse as the multiplication in a simplicial
group leads to structures in the corresponding cat^n group and back again,
so probably one could look at that as G(x,x)\times G(x,x)\to G(x,x) to see
what is happening???

This is getting a bit off-topic for the original messages so I will stop,
but would welcome any ideas either on a separate thread or via MathOverflow
perhaps.

Tim