categories - Category Theory list
* modules over a group
@ 2017-08-25 22:18 Michael Barr
       [not found] ` <99CB89B972944D4DB6AD1339DDCDCB4D@ACERi3>
From: Michael Barr @ 2017-08-25 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list" <Categories list>

If pi is a group, are the categories of right pi-modules and of 2-sided
pi-modules equivalent?

The reason I raise this question is that I was looking at Example 5, p.
43 in the TAC reprint of Jon Beck's thesis.  He identifies the abelian
group objects of Gp/pi as right pi-modules via the following
construction.  Let M be a right pi-module and let Y = pi x M with
multiplication (x,m)(x',m') = (xx',m+m'x).  This is an abelian group
object in Gp/pi and for any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) the group of
derivations d: Z --> M meaning that d(zz') = (dz)z' + d(z').  Here M
becomes a right Z-module using the map Z --> Y.  For the converse, if Y
--> pi is an abelian group object in Gp/pi, then the kernel of the map
is an abelian normal subgroup M of Y and the conjugation action of Y on
M descends to pi since M is abelian and this conjugation action is a
right pi-module structure (see Beck's thesis for all details).

But suppose M is a 2-sided pi-module.  Now let Y = pi x M and define
(x,m)(x',m') = (xx',mx'+xm').  This is just as above an abelian group
structure in Gp/pi.  For any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) as above but
now Der means 2-sided derivations d(zz') = (dz)z' + z(dz'), still an
abelian group.  But the kernel of Y --> pi is M but now with a new right
module structure m*x = x^{-1}mx.  So there is a functor from 2-sided to
right modules by replacing the 2-sided operation by conjugation which is
now a right operation, but could this possibly be an equivalence?  I
don't see how.

Michael

* Re: modules over a group
@ 2017-08-26 10:35 ` Paul Blain Levy
       [not found] ` <99CB89B972944D4DB6AD1339DDCDCB4D@ACERi3>
From: Paul Blain Levy @ 2017-08-26 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Categories list" <Categories list>

Funny you should ask that; I was wondering about a similar question.

Suppose T is a monad on a category V.

Suppose that V has a monoidal structure *.

A right strength for T is a natural transformation TX * Y --> T(X * Y)
satisfying 4 equations.

A left strength for T is a natural transformation X * TY --> T(X * Y)
satisfying 4 equations.

A bistrength for T consists of a right strength and left strength such
that the two maps X * TY * Z --> T(X * Y * Z) are equal.

A bistrength is commutative if the two maps TX * TY --> T(X * Y) are
equal.

[Kock proved that Monad with commutative bistrength = Monoidal monad.  I
recently learnt this from Paul Taylor.]

If * has a symmetry sigma, then any right strength  t gives rise to a
left strength t-sigma, and (t, t-sigma) forms a bistrength.

But is it possible that T has another left strength s such that (t,s) is
a bistrength?

What if we assume the symmetric monoidal structure to be cartesian?

What if we assume that both (t,t-sigma) and (t,s) are commutative?

Paul

On 25/08/17 23:18, barr@math.mcgill.ca wrote:
> If pi is a group, are the categories of right pi-modules and of 2-sided
> pi-modules equivalent?
>
> The reason I raise this question is that I was looking at Example 5, p.
> 43 in the TAC reprint of Jon Beck's thesis.  He identifies the abelian
> group objects of Gp/pi as right pi-modules via the following
> construction.  Let M be a right pi-module and let Y = pi x M with
> multiplication (x,m)(x',m') = (xx',m+m'x).  This is an abelian group
> object in Gp/pi and for any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) the group of
> derivations d: Z --> M meaning that d(zz') = (dz)z' + d(z').  Here M
> becomes a right Z-module using the map Z --> Y.  For the converse, if Y
> --> pi is an abelian group object in Gp/pi, then the kernel of the map
> is an abelian normal subgroup M of Y and the conjugation action of Y on
> M descends to pi since M is abelian and this conjugation action is a
> right pi-module structure (see Beck's thesis for all details).
>
> But suppose M is a 2-sided pi-module.  Now let Y = pi x M and define
> (x,m)(x',m') = (xx',mx'+xm').  This is just as above an abelian group
> structure in Gp/pi.  For any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) as above but
> now Der means 2-sided derivations d(zz') = (dz)z' + z(dz'), still an
> abelian group.  But the kernel of Y --> pi is M but now with a new right
> module structure m*x = x^{-1}mx.  So there is a functor from 2-sided to
> right modules by replacing the 2-sided operation by conjugation which is
> now a right operation, but could this possibly be an equivalence?  I
> don't see how.
>
> Michael

* Re: modules over a group
       [not found] ` <99CB89B972944D4DB6AD1339DDCDCB4D@ACERi3>
@ 2017-08-26 17:00   ` Michael Barr
       [not found]   ` <769620164.7137274.1503766810892.JavaMail.zimbra@math.mcgill.ca>
From: Michael Barr @ 2017-08-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Janelidze; +Cc: Categories list" <Categories list>

Okay, your argument seems sound.  But consider the following.  If Z is a
free group, say Z = F(X), then you can show that for any Z-module M (if M
is a pi-module a homomorphism Z --> pi makes M into a Z-module of course),
then for either a right or a 2-sided module, it is trivial to see that
Der(Z,M) = M^X.  That is, any function X --> M extends in a unique way to
a derivation Z --> M.  Now resolve an arbitrary Z with G^2Z ===> GZ ---> Z
and then we get an equalizer Der(Z,M) ---> Der(GZ,M) ===> Der(G^2Z,M) or
Der(Z,M) ---> Der(GC,M) ===> Der(G^2Z,M) which is Der(GZ,M) ---> M^Z ===>
M^{GZ} for whichever kind of module you have.  But, the ismorphisms are
not natural (except with respect to maps of the basis, which G\epsilon is,
but \epsilon G isn't) and so the two versions of Der(Z,M) may well be
different and hence the two versions of Y.

I guess Jon didn't correctly describe the category of pi-modules.

Michael

From: George Janelidze @ 2017-08-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, categories

Could you please make more precise what you are saying?

Meanwhile, let me go back to your:

> ....But the kernel of Y --> pi is M but now with a new right
> module structure m*x = x^{-1}mx. So there is a functor from 2-sided to
> right modules by replacing the 2-sided operation by conjugation which is
> now a right operation, but could this possibly be an equivalence? I
> don't see how.

and put my "of course not" also here:

Let pi = be the 2-element cyclic group, written as pi={1,x}, and let A and B
be 2-sided pi-modules defined as follows:

- A and B have the same underlying group, which is the additive group of
integers;

- pi acts trivially on A, that is, xa=a=ax;

- pi acts on B by xb=-b=bx.

Then your functor will send A and B to the same pi-module, while A and B are
obviously not isomorphic. Therefore your functor is not an equivalence.

George

> If pi is a group, are the categories of right pi-modules and of 2-sided
> pi-modules equivalent?
>
> The reason I raise this question is that I was looking at Example 5, p.
> 43 in the TAC reprint of Jon Beck's thesis. He identifies the abelian
> group objects of Gp/pi as right pi-modules via the following
> construction. Let M be a right pi-module and let Y = pi x M with
> multiplication (x,m)(x',m') = (xx',m+m'x). This is an abelian group
> object in Gp/pi and for any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) the group of
> derivations d: Z --> M meaning that d(zz') = (dz)z' + d(z'). Here M
> becomes a right Z-module using the map Z --> Y. For the converse, if Y
> --> pi is an abelian group object in Gp/pi, then the kernel of the map
> is an abelian normal subgroup M of Y and the conjugation action of Y on
> M descends to pi since M is abelian and this conjugation action is a
> right pi-module structure (see Beck's thesis for all details).
>
> But suppose M is a 2-sided pi-module. Now let Y = pi x M and define
> (x,m)(x',m') = (xx',mx'+xm'). This is just as above an abelian group
> structure in Gp/pi. For any Z --> pi, Hom(Z,Y) = Der(Z,M) as above but
> now Der means 2-sided derivations d(zz') = (dz)z' + z(dz'), still an
> abelian group. But the kernel of Y --> pi is M but now with a new right
> module structure m*x = x^{-1}mx. So there is a functor from 2-sided to
> right modules by replacing the 2-sided operation by conjugation which is
> now a right operation, but could this possibly be an equivalence? I
> don't see how.
>
> Michael
>

> [For admin and other information see: http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/ ]

Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This e-mail is subject to UCT policies  and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via csirt@uct.ac.za

* Re: modules over a group
@ 2017-09-02  5:31   ` Patrik Eklund
From: Patrik Eklund @ 2017-09-02  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Blain Levy
  Cc: Michael Barr, Categories list" <Categories list>

Hi Michael and Paul,

These are indeed interesting observations and potential developments.

Let me try to connect this also to previous postings on automata and
"Turing categories". In that context, A and B are alphabets and states,
and maybe in rather abstract forms, but A and B are fundamentally
different. Whereas A is intuitively closer to terms so that TA can be a
construction by a term monad, B are statements and the "statement
functor" is usually not seen to be extendable to a monad (otherwise
there are only terms and no statements).

  From application point of of view, and indeed referring to possible
categorization of automata, T is more of a generalized powerfunctor, so
the term monad is hidden somewhere inside X, Y or Z. If so, and if that
term monad is made explicit, distributive laws will come into play.

Generalized powers may involve many-valuedness and as related to truth
value algebras. Such things invites to believing that applications
related to many-valuedness in ontology may become feasible. In some
typical area where this kind of algebraically explained many-valuedness
seems to come into play.

Funny, maybe, but the underpinnings may be quite serious, by the looks
of it. Maybe even dramatic e.g. for an extension of the notion of
evidence in evidence-based medicine.

Best,

Patrik