categories - Category Theory list
* Functionally complete/universal basis for graph homomorphisms?
@ 2017-09-26  4:17 Mike Stay
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mike Stay @ 2017-09-26  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The Sheffer stroke / NAND gate suffices to implement any function from
2^n -> 2.  I'm looking for a similar universal basis for graph
homomorphisms from Omega^n -> Omega, where Omega is the subgraph
classifier with two vertices t, f and five edges

   in:t->t, out1:t->t, out2:t->f, out3:f->t, out4:f->f.

There's obviously a finite set of operations that covers all graph
homomorphisms from Omega^n to Omega, because the set of all operations
of that form is finite. But how small can that set be? I'd be
satisfied with a formula parametric in n, but surprised if it actually
depends on n; I'd expect it to be a finite set of binary operations.

--
Mike Stay - metaweta@gmail.com
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mike