categories - Category Theory list
* Grothendieck, Yoneda, Colimits
@ 2017-11-03 11:51 Uwe Egbert Wolter
From: Uwe Egbert Wolter @ 2017-11-03 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Dear all,

I'm sure the following observation has been made before. Hopefully,
somebody can provide a reference.

Many thanks in advance

Uwe Wolter

We consider a small category B and an element M:B --> Set of the functor
category Set^B. By G(B,M) we denote the category obtained by the
Grothendieck construction with objects (x,b) where b is an object in B
and x an element in the set M(b). G(M):G(B,M) --> B is the corresponding
split discrete obfibration. Composing G(M)^op with the Yoneda embedding
Y:B^op --> Set^B gives us a diagram in Set^B with shape G(B,M)^op.

The observation is that M is the colimit of this diagram where for each
(x,b) in G(B,M) the projection p(x,b):B(b,_) ==> M is the natural
transformation determined, according to the Yoneda lemma, by the element
x in the set b.

* Re: Grothendieck, Yoneda, Colimits
@ 2017-11-04  2:42 ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2017-11-04  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Egbert Wolter; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

See Section 1 on Functor Categories of Chapter Two of the Springer book by Gabriel-Zisman 1967 ``Calculus of Fractions and Homotopy Theory''.
That is where I first learnt it.
In other terminology, it is about the Yoneda embedding being dense.
==Ross