categories - Category Theory list
* Re: How can we have a categorical definition of "theory"
@ 2017-11-10  4:56 Patrik Eklund
From: Patrik Eklund @ 2017-11-10  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Yetter; +Cc: categories

Operads is just another name for signatures (sorts and operators).
Operads emphasize arity a bit more, which might invite operads and
signatures e.g. "over monoidal categories" to try out different paths,
but "over Set" they are the same.

Operads tend to "overlook" the distinction between constant and
variable, as seen e.g. in tree automata.

Anyway, terms (from signatures) have been formally constructed by means
of monads over monoidal categories, but sentence functors are rare.

In predicate calculus, the (informal!) quantifier symbols are
problematic, as they disable a functorial sentence construction. G??del
treats those symbols as formal since they are part of his numbering.
I've often said that self-referentiality is what makes incompleteness
theorems dubious, but treating quantifier symbols as formal ones and
disabling categorical constructions is probably the root of that
"G??del's success story".

The concept of 'theory' in universal algebra (Lawvere theories) and in
generalized logic (Goguen, Meseguer, and as we have generalized it to
fully embrace signatures) is related but not the same.

Let me indeed underline that when terms and sentences are categorically
constructed, they are not just "strings of symbols". Monoids are not
that universal.

Let me also restate that in our developments of these things (including
practical applications) we prefer to say that logic must be 'lative' in
the sense that terms are constructed in order to enable sentence
construction, and so on, and later in that "lative chain" comes
'theory', and many other things making 'logic' a categorical object. In
that category, still to be fully unravelled, morphisms are really
challenging and fascinating.

We feel there is a growing interest in such 'lative' approaches, and we
do invite the CT community to be more curious about such foundational
things.

Best,

Patrik

@ 2017-11-11  1:25 David Yetter
From: David Yetter @ 2017-11-11  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

       [not found]   ` <508ad670e2ff1525f0596b3c79485c04@cs.umu.se>
@ 2017-11-10 17:28     ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2017-11-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peklund; +Cc: categories

Dear Patrik,

It's absolutely vital to Grothendieck's idea of toposes as generalized
spaces. It's essentially categorical logic that allows you to think of
toposes as spaces and geometric morphisms as continuous maps.

For an introduction, see my TACL talks

   http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~sjv/talks.php

particularly numbers 1-4 (the Olomouc tutorials).

Steve.

       [not found] ` <5A05AAB4.5020000@cs.bham.ac.uk>
@ 2017-11-10 16:49   ` Patrik Eklund
       [not found]   ` <508ad670e2ff1525f0596b3c79485c04@cs.umu.se>
From: Patrik Eklund @ 2017-11-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Vickers; +Cc: categories

Thanks, Steve.

On 2017-11-10 15:33, Steve Vickers wrote:
> Dear Patrik,
>
> Categorical logic can interpret, but doesn't rigidly follow, the
> standard logical path of signature, formula and sentence to reach
> theory
> = signature + sentences.

You could also more broadly write that equality as something like

Logic = Sign (giving terms) + Sen + |- + |= + Ax + Th + Inf

or in some alternative order, but clearly say that + is not commutative,
meaning "logic is latively constructed".

> I guess that's the path you had in mind that underlies your question,
> and it is also the path that influenced Goguen and Meseguer.

I did, but we should recall Sign in their model enters concretely only
in examples, not in the general model. We require to have in the general
model, so that we truly have a general substitution model.

> Even where categorical logic interprets that standard path, it can move
> away from the "Hilbert-style" idea that a sentence is a formula with no
> free variables. Look in Elephant part C (?) and you'll see that the
> sentences there are sequents in context.

We have to get rid of "free", because it's outside the categorical
machinery.

> But categorical logic goes further than ordinary logic in its attempt
> define 'theory'.

I think it goes further away rather than further.

> Think of a category as loosely motivated by sets. The
> set constructions that logic most directly accesses - as formulae - are
> subsets of finite products (of carriers). It struggles to get to other
> constructions that category theory accesses quite naturally. Hence
> category theory can - and does - define 'theory' in ways that seem
> quite
> unnatural to a logician, either presented (for instance by sketches) or
> completed (as classifying categories, such as Lawvere theories).

I have difficulties with sets only. We can act over monoidal closed
categories.

Let me again underline that we are driven by concrete and real
applications of these logic constructions.

@ 2017-11-10 13:33   ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2017-11-10 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrik Eklund; +Cc: categories

Dear Patrik,

Categorical logic can interpret, but doesn't rigidly follow, the
standard logical path of signature, formula and sentence to reach theory
= signature + sentences.

I guess that's the path you had in mind that underlies your question,
and it is also the path that influenced Goguen and Meseguer.

Even where categorical logic interprets that standard path, it can move
away from the "Hilbert-style" idea that a sentence is a formula with no
free variables. Look in Elephant part C (?) and you'll see that the
sentences there are sequents in context.

But categorical logic goes further than ordinary logic in its attempt to
define 'theory'. Think of a category as loosely motivated by sets. The

@ 2017-11-09  7:13 ` Patrik Eklund
       [not found] ` <5A05AAB4.5020000@cs.bham.ac.uk>