categories - Category Theory list
* Is there a "canonical language" for exercises for beginners?
@ 2017-12-05 17:04 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2017-12-05 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi list,

Most CT books have lots of elementary exercises whose solutions
consist of defining morphisms, functors, natural transformations, etc,
and doing calculations with them and proving things. Is there a
"canonical language" for solving those exercises?

Here's why I am asking. I am giving a course without any formal
prerequisites that is mostly an introduction to lambda-calculus,
intuitionistic propositional logic, and CT, and the students - most of
them have very little mathematical background - have a lot of
difficulty when they have to write down answers of exercises... the
way that I found to keep them from spending far too much time on
trying different ways of writing was to convince them to use untyped
lambda-calculus to define things whenever possible, but that feels a
bit like cheating...

So, here are some question for the people who have taught very basic
courses on CT: how did you teach your students to write? And what
resources did you use?

   Cheers and thank in advance =),
     Eduardo Ochs

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-12-05 17:04 UTC | newest]