categories - Category Theory list
* Categories used to describe molecules
@ 2018-04-28 15:54 Dennis Stevenson
From: Dennis Stevenson @ 2018-04-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

I would appreciate references to the use of category theory to describe molecular structure and/or changes in molecules.

—
D. E. (Steve) Stevenson
Emeritus Associate Professor,
School of Computing, Clemson University

* Re: Categories used to describe molecules
@ 2018-04-29 14:17 ` David Spivak
From: David Spivak @ 2018-04-29 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Stevenson; +Cc: Categories List

Here is a paper using operads as a language for forming proteins from
simpler proteins:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsbiomaterials.5b00251

@ 2018-04-29 14:57 ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2018-04-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi -

Dennis Stevenson wrote:

> I would appreciate references to the use of category theory
> to describe molecular structure and/or changes in molecules.

I recommend the papers by Christoph Flamm and collaborators:

https://arxiv.org/search/?searchtype=author&query=%22Flamm%2C+Christoph%22

I heard Flamm and Merkle talk at "Dynamics, Thermodynamics and
Information Processing in Chemical Networks" in Luxembourg last year,
and I wrote:

> Merkle is speaking. This is the first talk I’ve seen where someone
> argues strongly for the usefulness of category theory, then explains
> the definition of pushouts, and then illustrates it with examples from
> organic chemistry! Good thing I’d explained the definition of ‘category’
> earlier in the day! Double-pushout graph rewriting applied to chemistry,
> and implemented in software that creates pictures of molecules using TikZ.

Best,
jb