categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Vera Trnkova
@ 2018-06-03 21:33 Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2018-06-03 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

          On 31 May 2018, at 6:42 PM, JirAdek <j.adamek@tu-bs.de> wrote:

           Vera was also a dear friend, whose personality influenced a
           number of her colleagues and students. She will be missed by
           many of us.

Dear Jiri

Thank you for advising us of this loss.
While I met Vera Trnkova only a few times
(she seemed to like travelling even less than me),
I saw her as a mathematician who could push
well beyond the barriers that blocked everyone else.

You and your colleagues have my sympathy.

Best regards,
Ross

* Vera Trnkova
@ 2018-05-31  8:42 Jirí Adámek
From: Jirí Adámek @ 2018-05-31  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories net

It is with great sadness that I inform you that last
Sunday Vera Trnkova has passed away at the age of 84 years.
In the last couple of years she suffered from a disease that made her
life very difficult, so that she could only leave her appartment in
a wheelchair.

This is a great loss to the category theory community: Vera was an
incredibly enthusiastic and gifted researcher, and her seminars, in
which she made it possible for students from their early years to
participate at topical research, were a great inspiration
to the participants. She published a monograph, coauthored by
Ales Pultr, on embeddings of categories, which was one of her life-long
topics. And another one, coauthored by me, on the categorical theory of
automata. In a series of more than 160 research articles she combined
category theory with general topology, theoretical computer science
and combinatorics. Another life-long topic of Vera's was the theory of
set functors which she and her pupils developed in a substantial series of
papers. That theory found applications in diverse areas of mathematics.

Vera  was also a dear friend, whose personality influenced a number of her
colleagues and students. She will be missed by many of us.

Jiri Adamek