categories - Category Theory list
* Sheaf terminology question
@ 2018-07-13 14:10 Andrew Pitts
From: Andrew Pitts @ 2018-07-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Given a coverage on a small category, the condition for a Set-valued presheaf on the category to be a sheaf has an existence part and a uniqueness part. If only the uniqueness part holds, one says that the presheaf is separated. Is there a name out there for presheaves that only satisfy the existence part of the sheaf condition?

Andy Pitts

* Re: Sheaf terminology question
@ 2018-07-18  8:56 ` Andrew Pitts
From: Andrew Pitts @ 2018-07-18  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> On 13 Jul 2018, at 15:10, Andrew Pitts <Andrew.Pitts@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Given a coverage on a small category, the condition for a Set-valued presheaf on the category to be a sheaf has an existence part and a uniqueness part. If only the uniqueness part holds, one says that the presheaf is separated. Is there a name out there for presheaves that only satisfy the existence part of the sheaf condition?

Many thanks to those who responded with suggestions. I won’t repeat replies that were also sent to categories@mta.ca, but there were a couple sent privately that I pass on:

Peter Johnstone reminded me of the fact that category-theorists tend to use the prefix “weak” to remove the uniqueness part of a unique existence condition. So one could speak of "weak sheaves". (A slight problem with that is that when I say it, it sounds a lot like wheat sheaves :-).)

Tom Hirschowitz pointed out that there is the concept of effective descent data in stack theory, so one might use the term “effective  presheaf” for what I was referring to. I quite like that.

Andy

* Re:  Sheaf terminology question
@ 2018-07-17  8:48 Zoran Škoda
From: Zoran Škoda @ 2018-07-17  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pitts; +Cc: Categories

Late Alexander L. Rosenberg used the term epipresheaf in that case; I am
not sure if he learned it somewhere or he made it up. The reasoning behind
the terminology is clear.

Zoran Škoda