categories - Category Theory list
* Applied Category Theory Conference+School at Oxford, July 15-26, 2019
@ 2018-10-04 15:55 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2018-10-04 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

  Dear all,

As part of a new growing community in Applied Category Theory, now with
a dedicated journal Compositionality, a traveling workshop series SYCO,
a forthcoming CUP book series Reasoning with Categories, and several
one-off events including at NIST, we are launching an annual
conference+school series named Applied Category Theory, the coming one
being at Oxford, July 15-19 for the conference, and July 22-26 for the
school.
The dates are chosen such that CT 2019 (Edinburgh) and the ACT 2019
conference (Oxford) will be back-to-back, for those wishing to participate
in
both.

There already was a successful invitation-only pilot last year at the
Lorentz
Centre in Leiden:

https://www.lorentzcenter.nl/lc/web/2018/969/info.php3?wsid=969&venue=Oort

also in the format of school+workshop.

For the conference, for those who are familiar with the successful QPL
conference series, we will follow a very similar format for the ACT
conference.
This means that we will accept both new papers which then will be published
in a proceedings volume (most likely a Compositionality special proceedings
issue), as well as shorter abstracts of papers published elsewhere.  There
will
be a thorough selection process, as typical in computer science
conferences.
The idea is that all the best work in applied category theory will be
presented
at the conference, and that acceptance is something that means something,
just like in CS conferences.  This is particularly important for young
people
as it will help them with their careers.

Expect a call for submissions soon, and start preparing your papers now!

The school was unique in that small groups of students worked closely with
an experienced researcher (these were John Baez, Aleks Kissinger, Martha
Lewis and Pawel Sobocinski), and each group ended up producing a paper.
We will continue with this format or a closely related one, with Jules
Hedges
and Daniel Cicala as organisers this year.  As there were 80 applications
last
year for 16 slots, we may want to try to find a way to involve more
students.

We are fortunate to have a number of private sector companies closely
associated in some way or another, who will also participate, with
Cambridge
Quantum Computing Inc. and StateBox having already made major
financial/logistic contributions.

On behalf of the ACT Steering Committee,

John Baez, Bob Coecke, David Spivak, Christina Vasilakopoulou

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-10-04 15:55 UTC | newest]