categories - Category Theory list
* Monoidal product functor is strong monoidal, when?
@ 2019-12-11  6:29 David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2019-12-11  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories@mta.ca list

Hi all,

I have half convinced myself (without checking details) that if I have
a braided monoidal category (C,@), then the monoidal product @: C x C
--> C is strong monoidal. Is this true? What's a reference for this I
could point to?

Thanks,
David

David Roberts
Webpage: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/David+Roberts
Blog: https://thehighergeometer.wordpress.com

* Re: Monoidal product functor is strong monoidal, when?
       [not found] ` <CAOK96nJhAcT-dRMKVwBCKW0g11wbUiz9M4WSgM8MDQfzujW_yA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-01-20  4:02   ` David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2020-01-20  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matsuoka Takuo; +Cc: categories@mta.ca list

Hi Takuo,

thanks for that observation, it's rather nice way to put it.

Aaron Mazel-Gee had another way to show it, which he shared with me
privately, and gave me permission to pass on to the list, copied
below.

It turns out that there are two diagrams that prove the result about
symmetric monoidal functors (if one takes an elementary approach, and
not using strictification, as Joyal–Street do in the published
'Braided tensor categories'), which are two halves of the generalised
resultoassociahedron on the middle of page 39 of
http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~street/BatanAustMSMq.pdf, originally
appearing in work of Bar-Natan in 1993 (or so, it's a little hard to
recognise). If one categorified this result, then one could have a
3-arrow that filled this polyhedral diagram of 2-arrows.

=====

======

@ 2020-01-11 14:44 Matsuoka Takuo
From: Matsuoka Takuo @ 2020-01-11 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)