categories - Category Theory list
* Announcement: Talbot Workshop 2020
@ 2019-12-14  1:32 Opie, Morgan
From: Opie, Morgan @ 2019-12-14  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The application for this year's Talbot workshop is now live. See below for
details:

2020 TALBOT WORKSHOP: AMBIDEXTERITY IN CHROMATIC HOMOTOPY THEORY
Mentored by Jacob Lurie and Tomer Schlank
June 21 - 27, 2020
Nacogdoches, TX (to be confirmed)

The Talbot Workshop is a one week learning workshop for roughly 35
graduate students and a few postdocs. Most of the talks will be given by
participants, and will be expository in nature.

Topic description: A primary aim of chromatic homotopy theory is to
understand the stable homotopy category by decomposing it into pieces
(called chromatic localizations) which are, at least in principle, easier to
understand. These chromatic localizations enjoy a certain duality property
called ambidexterity, which guarantees that certain homotopy limits can
be understood as homotopy colimits (and vice versa). The goal of this
workshop is to explain the mathematics of ambidexterity and some of its
applications. More details about the program, including a preliminary list
of talks and references, can be found here:

http://math.mit.edu/conferences/talbot/index.php?year=2020

Applications close on Saturday, February 1 at 11:59PM Eastern time.
You can apply online here:

http://math.mit.edu/conferences/talbot/index.php?pageID=application

Talbot is meant to encourage collaboration among young researchers, with
an emphasis on graduate students. We also aim to gather participants
with a diverse array of knowledge and interests, so applicants need not
be an expert in the field -- in particular, students at all levels of
graduate education are encouraged to apply. As we are committed to
promoting diversity in mathematics, we also especially encourage women
and minorities to apply.

We will cover all local expenses including lodging and food. We also
offer partial funding for participants' travel costs.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to e-mail the
organizers at talbotworkshop (at) gmail.com.

Organizers:
Calista Bernard
Yajit Jain
Morgan Opie
Lucy Yang

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-12-14  1:32 UTC | newest]