categories - Category Theory list
* YaMKittens: Introductory categories day 28 March, Birmingham. Please spread the word!
@ 2020-02-18 13:33 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2020-02-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

This message is to ask your help in publicising a 1-day introductory categor=
ies meeting for undergraduate and masters students.

=EF=BB=BFYou may know already about YaMCATS, the Yorkshire and Midlands Cate=
gory Theory Seminar

   https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/mathematics/extranet/staff-material/staf=
f-profiles/simona-paoli/yorkshire-and-midlands-category-theory-seminar-yamca=
ts

This year=E2=80=99s Birmingham meeting on Saturday 28 March will be a junior=
  =E2=80=9CYaMKittens=E2=80=9D version, aimed especially at undergraduates an=
d masters students to give them a taster in category theory.

Tom Leinster and Bob Coecke have agreed to be our two speakers, presenting a=
n hour and a half each, and covering basic principles and abstractions as we=
ll as a good case study. We aim to cover students=E2=80=99 travel costs.

If you know of any populations of students who might be interested, and live=
  close enough to Birmingham, please encourage them to register (no fee) and c=
ome to the meeting. Further details are at

   https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~sjv/YaMKittens/

All the best,

Steve Vickers=

* YaMKittens: Introductory categories day 28 March, Birmingham. Please spread the word!
@ 2020-02-19 14:59 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2020-02-19 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Further to my previous message, here is an announcement for students. If
you are in a position to post this to students who might be interested,
that would be a great help to us. Even more if you can access funds to
support their travel! We have some of our own, but it's limited.

Steve.

====

Subject line: "YaMKittens - 1-day Introduction to Category Theory, 28
March in Birmingham"

To: Undergraduates or masters students

- in maths and related disciplines such as physics and computer science

You may have heard of Category Theory, a particular style of structuring
mathematics that emphasizes the ways in which different objects can
connect to each other ("morphisms"), and how the morphisms can be strung
together. Originating in algebraic topology, it is now applied in
increasingly many subject areas in maths and beyond, including computer
science and physics.

If you don't know much about categories but are intrigued by the idea of
research either in category theory or using it, you will be interested
in a 1-day meeting "YaMKittens" on Saturday 28 March at Birmingham
University. Two speakers, Tom Leinster and Bob Coecke, will give an
introduction to the basics and some fascinating applications in quantum
physics.

Attendance is free, but we do ask you to register in advance. Further
information is at -

https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~sjv/YaMKittens/

Steve Vickers - School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham

on behalf of YaMCATS - Yorkshire and Midlands Category Theory Seminar

====