categories - Category Theory list
* FMCS 2020
@ 2020-02-23 17:35 Richard Blute
From: Richard Blute @ 2020-02-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

28th Foundational Methods in Computer Science Workshop
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Ottawa
June 9-12, 2020

Foundational Methods in Computer Science is an annual workshop that brings together researchers in theoretical computer science and category theory. Past workshops have enjoyed talks in areas such as categorical quantum mechanics, restriction categories, database design, and the differential and resource logics. We will host tutorials and talks in several of these and related areas. We especially encourage graduate students to talk.

We anticipate having talks and tutorials for the entire day on June 9,10 and 11, with the possibility of additional talks on the morning of the 12th, depending on how many talks are volunteered.

This year, FMCS will immediately follow the 2020 Canadian Mathematical Society Summer Meeting, also held in Ottawa. We suggest attendees check out the  schedule for that conference as there are a number of sessions of interest  to category theorists.

Support for graduate students:

We particularly encourage graduate students to attend FMCS and to present their work. Some limited funding is available to support graduate students who wish to attend FMCS. To obtain the discounted registration and to apply for this funding you should contact one of the local organizers by April 1st, 2020.

Talks:

Anyone interested in giving a talk or tutorial should contact the local organizers, no later than May 15th. But earlier is better.

Housing:

We were unable to reserve housing in the campus dorms, but there will likely be some individual rooms available. Details can be found here:

https://www.uottawa.ca/housing/summer-accommodation

Some good hotels in the area are:

1-The Business Inn, 180 MacLaren Street. https://thebusinessinn.com/ (This is the best local option.)

2-The Swiss Hotel, 89 Daly Avenue. https://swisshotel.ca/

3-Alt Hotel, Ottawa, 185 Slater Street. https://www.althotels.com/en/ottawa/

It is recommended not to wait until the last minute to book accommodations.

Registration:

There will be a small registration fee. It will help to cover refreshments and subsidize students.

Local Organizers:

Rick Blute (rblute at uottawa dot ca)
Pieter Hofstra (phofstra at uottawa dot ca)
Phil Scott (philip dot scott at uottawa dot ca)

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-23 17:35 UTC | newest]